Adding dual-voltage to an SPS?

I've got a battery charger for a power tool. Input voltage is spec'd at only

120 VAC.

Is it reasonable to think about modifying the switching p.s. to encompass 240 VAC as well? Or might one simply design an entire new one more easily (not that I'd even consider doing that...)?

What's involved in modifying such a supply?

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
DaveC

Buy a stepdown transformer. Attempting to modify the existing supply is not a reasonable proposition unless you know how to design switching supplies.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Taylor

--------- -- -----------------

----------------------------

ABSOLUTELY correct advice.

Reply to
Sofie

Only easy solution would be if it already has a doubler/bridge input with a jumper to select 115 VAC (in) or 230 VAC (out). This would mean the chipper runs off ~300 VDC. If it runs off of ~150 VDC, probably no easy solution.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Site Info:
Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header is ignored. To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.
Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:17:02 -0700, Sam Goldwasser wrote (in article ):

Sam, I always appreciate your instructional answers. In this case, it was, to paraphrase, "Don't do it unless it's an easy mod, such as...".

I tire so of responses such as "You fool! You will die!", which may be true, but that's my responsibility, isn't it. I want to know *why*, which you provided.

Thanks again, Sam, for another *educated* answer.

Reply to
DaveC