breaker keeps tripping

When I plug in a humidefier in my room, after about ten minutes the breaker trips and I loose power to most of the top floor. What can I
do to fix this?
add another circuit and split the floor into several circuits

leave it switched off.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Either:
1) the breaker is doing its job and the total load on that circuit is excessive 2)the breaker is faulty 3)the wrong breaker is fitted.
If (1) you transfer loads from this circuit to another one, adding infrastructure wiring as necessary. Or you just switch other stuff off and leave them off whilst using the unit. Or, less likely, the unit has a fault which makes itself apparent after 10 minutes of operation. Not unknown.
If (2) you replace the breaker. It would be better to either measure the load or count up the loads of individual appliances to calculate the circuit loading - rather than simply replace the breaker and hope.
If (3) you replace the breaker with one of the correct specification for the circuit it protects.
--
Sue

Better yet: Step one) Install a breaker with a higher amp rating. The hiogher the better.
Step 2) Remove anything of value from your house, including family members and pets.
Step 3) Turn on the dehimidifier and leave the house withing 10 minutes, preferebly sooner.
Step 4) Use the Fire Insurance money to pay for a proper electrician to come and make sure that Step 3 doesn't happen to you in the middle of the night while you sleep.
Or the best solution yet, hire the electrician NOW and avoid the possible risk of going to jail for fraud based upon Steps one and two!