Building Coaxial transmission line on PCB?

I think transmitting high-speed signals is very easy when you have a

360-degree ground reference, round conductors, and no other nearby signals like in coaxial cables. My aim is to design PCB tracks as much like a coaxial cable as possible. Anyone tried this before? Is it possible with regular FR4, anyway? Thanks for your help.

Gero

Reply to
Geronimo Stempovski

You can build a wave guide out of a multi-layer board with lots of micro vias. The performance gain was non-existent vs traditional micro/ strip/line, and cost a lot of money. These days you can satisfy yourself of this reality with a 3D field solver. Back when we tried this, workstations were as slow as building it "for real", and more expensive. Just break out to a connector, use a coax assembly, and connect back in. Easy peasy.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

There is such a thing as microcoax, so he can chisel out a little groove in a thick pc and stuff that in there.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:17:50 GMT, Fred Bloggs Gave us:

Semi-rigid is the term, and if it is in coax, it doesn't need to be IN the PCB from point to point.

I wish you guys would stop cross posting all over the place. Many ISPs have group inclusion limits.

It is also not considered proper Usenet practice.

Reply to
MassiveProng