Could anyone explain what the sliding-mode (nonlinear) is?

Could anyone explain briefly what exactly the sliding-mode for nonlinear control is?
I tried several times finding from google but found nothing except
some applications of it. I found one at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sliding_mode_control
But I can't understand because I haven't taken any cource in Nonlinear Control Systems so it is a bit difficult for me to digest all these nonlinear topics (but I took Linear, Process & Digital Control a long time ago).
Thank you in advance :)
kasittik wrote:

Wikipedia! Heh! Don't you love those folks who think that mathematics is some how equivalent to "understanding"? Lots of science people think this way. Engineers should know better! Of course in my experience, if you go into Wikipedia and try to put some sense into their pet mathematics, they'll delete anything you try to say. They have to keep their mathematical world pure.
As to your question. Yes I can explain it. But my question is do you have any idea how much it will cost you for me to explain it to you? You think I'll solve someone's plant control problem for free? Fergeddabowdit.
Just take time to search a bit BEYOND Wikipedia, dear boy. The information is on the Internet. EVERYTHING (almost) is on the internet! Hint: Try Crawler. etc.