home made inductor

I have a need for a inductor of about 4 H. Wound wire around a current transformer core(just the magnetic core), applied voltages from about .1 volts to 20 volts. Found reactance to increase as voltage increases, then above about 12 volts the reactance decreases. I can understand possibly getting into saturation above a voltage, thus decreasing the apparent reactance, but anyone have any idea why the low voltage end in not constant?

Measuring inductance by applying voltage, measuring current, then calculating.... All 60 Hz.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
joe

Just a guess, but could your reactance measurement method be responding to whatever method you are using to vary the (DC I presume) voltage? I'm thinking along the lines of the impedance of the voltage source changing with the output voltage and this throwing off the reactance numbers. I'll admit that it has been some decades since I've actually set out to measure such real-world values but as I recall there would be several different ways to attack the problem.

Reply to
John McGaw

Could it be that the core losses are a major part of the equation at low voltages (and currents) and become less significant as the voltage increases.

I presume you are measuring voltages across the inductor and a series resistor and constructing a phase diagram. Make sure you select the resistor value so that the sides of the diagram are fairly equilateral, so as to minimise errors.

Reply to
Rusty

Inductance is not linear with applied voltage/current over such a range.

Reply to
Mishnuc

"joe" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

The Permeability of iron is very non-linear as a function of the magnetizing force (amp-turns). This nonlinearity creates the familiar B-H curve of the material. The nonlinearity will cause an unstable inductor when wound as you describe because the inductance is a function of the permeability. One would have to know the particulars of the B-H curve for that particular material to correlate your measured non-linear inductance with the permeability. Furthermore, the non-linear inductance will cause distorion of the current wave form with voltage so there will be an additional error in the inductance measurement. Proper inductors are always stabilized with an air gap in the core. With an air gap, the majority of the magnetic energy is concentrated in the air gap and the permeability of the iron which is many thousands of times greater than air does not greatly effect the inductance even if it changes or is non-linear. Think of it as two resistors in series, a high conductivity low ohm resistor representing the iron in serires with a low conductivity high ohm resistor representing the air gap. It's like a 10 ohm resistor in series with a 10K resistor. If the 10 Ohm resistor is non-linear or changes in value, the series combination doesn't change much, it's sitll basically 10K regardless of the 10 ohm. So it is with an inductor with an air gap, changes in the iron permeability doesn't change the inductance much. Bob

Reply to
Bob Eldred

Joe:

You may want to check out BillQuick. Its very powerful and integrates with QuickBooks and Outlook.

James

Reply to
James Lewis