how do lifts work / stop working?

A 5 story single piston? I've seen telescoping units, but the joint is obvious.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Basement, Ground, 1, 2, 3. Five levels, four rises between them. I haven't been to the Science Museum for several years, it's not what it used to be, but I do remember looking at these pistons, and not being able to see a joint in them. Most of the lifts of this type that I see link just two or three levels. I've never seen a telescoping one, but it would make sense. I've seen telescoping hydraulic rams used for other purposes.

Reply to
furles

I've also seen them in hotels with atriums. IIRC the Embassy Suites in Bloomington MN was eight stories. At the time ('80s) that the elevators were piston driven; thinking "that's quite some hole".

Reply to
krw