How good are high-end Extech DMMs?

I'm interested in some of their top end DMMs as they have features that you simply can't get with any of the Fluke models.

The models I'm interested in are:

Data logging DMM:

one offers 43,000 data points with ten available intervals between

50mS to 480s. I looked into the Fluke 189, but it does not have a data logging feature anything like this Extech.

Dual channel logging DMM

two simultaneous measurements of current and voltage, and have

10,000 or so data points for each channel. I think this is truly a one of the kind.

I don't plan on using the Extech on a circuit with fault current exceeding that of a typical 120V outlet, so CAT IV rating isn't of importance to me. When I need accuracy, I will use a Fluke 87 V, but I'm primarily interested in these Extechs to capture the signals on a graph.

Their selection in DMMs is a lot wider than Fluke. The lowest range being what looks like a standard issue electronics class meter

Any comments on high end Extechs?

Reply to
itsme.ultimate

Nothing wrong with Extech products. They have been around for a while so that should tell you something. I've never owned one personally, however, most people I know who use them seem to like them. I use my Fluke 189 for data logging and so far I'm pretty happy with it.

Reply to
Igor The Terrible

. . .

I've been happy with mine (model 380282), have owned it for 3-4 years now. It's a discontinued model, but has data logging via serial port, and has been my main meter for home projects.

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

On 1 Jul 2006 00:46:41 -0700, "Igor The Terrible" Gave us:

For the money, this is the best meter one can find today:

Even used, they blow any handheld out of the water expect for MAYBE the newer high end Flukes and Agilents, etc.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Sure, but you can't hold it in your hand, so that sucks for most general apps.

BTW, I've used one, and yes they are good :-D

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Unfortunately the 189 has terrible battery life, and I won't even mention the "user interface". One of Flukes rare "designed by committee" meters :-(

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Explain what you mean "they blow any handheld out of the water"

Is it capable of data logging for 40,000 + points with ten or more ranges of interval within the range or greater than 50mS to 400S?

When you buy a new handheld, it is factory calibrated. When you buy that one used and to ensure it blows handheld out of water in accuracy, you'll have to pay to get it calibrated.

What would it cost for the purchase + calibration ?

Reply to
itsme.ultimate

Yeah...but you can get a battery pack which uses 4 C cells that will give you up to 450 hrs of continuous logging (depending on your interval settings). Battery consumption is the price you pay resolution plus all the features it offers.

The user interface isn't all that bad although there is room for improvement. But that applies to nearly everything. Remember early UNIX applications? Hell, the OS itself!! It's truly amazing what X did for it. I guess it really is a matter of what you are used to working with.

Reply to
Igor The Terrible

On 2 Jul 2006 02:44:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Show me ANY 6.5 digit handheld.

Hmmmmm... cat got your tongue?

Then there is the accuracy differential between the two.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 2 Jul 2006 02:44:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

Sorry bub, but they don't go out of calibration. When we had ours "calibrated" each year, the calibration tech told us that it is a mere verification, and that they NEVER shift.

The only exception would be one that was abused by a user.

$150 for the unit, and $60 to calibrate it... on a bad day.

It's accuracy without the calibration is 99.999% likely to be better than your 3.5 digit crap with a fresh calibration over and above the production line calibration.

I can get a little shirt pocket meter from Rat Shack that is as good as that level of accuracy.

It's about BASIC accuracy. The basic accuracy of this meter is a couple orders of magnitude better than the basic accuracy of your 3.5 digit item... from any maker.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

The point is that it shouldn't have to be a trade off. Fluke went from a 9V battery in most other models to 4 x AA's in the 189. That's a huge increase in battery capacity, yet they managed to get far less battery life in the process. That's just plain poor design.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Sorry no comments on the Extech, but I bought this from these guys a few months ago:

You get the 189 meter, the 4x'C' cell battery pack, the Flukeview software, a PC connectivity cable, temp probe, regular probes, a nice fluke case and a magnetic hold strap for $390. Best price I could find on the web, when I looked for it. Mine arrive just fine.

Reply to
machinamentum

How often do most people need 6.5 digits???

Mark

Reply to
redbelly

On 3 Jul 2006 16:59:30 -0700, "redbelly" Gave us:

Again, it is about basic accuracy. That meter does not have to be used on those ranges, however the calibration of the meter, even in the weaker (handheld like) ranges will be far more accurate than any handheld.

So one could rest assured that the reading one got was correct.

Here's a good data loggin' handheld cheapy that works fairly well...

Not bad for a would be Fluke competitor.

OMG!

Roy L. Fuchs

On 4 Jul 2006 00:49:01 -0700, "David L. Jones" Gave us:

Maybe that is the difference between power distribution, and other systems which may or may not have lower voltage transducer signals being passed, or 2.5GHz and 5 GHz transmission gear like at cell nodes or cable satellite gear.

And we won't even mention military contracts. Where do you think most of that gear sold on e-bay comes from? How many bases shutting down?

There are plenty of places today where the field technician wants to be able to read more than the typical handheld reads, and do so accurately.

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

On 4 Jul 2006 00:49:01 -0700, "David L. Jones" Gave us:

You're a trip. I was talking about free climbing. ;-]

"I am not left handed..." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

No, really... they aren't a bother. I also like the little shirt pocket deal that the Rat Shack sells too... Touchy, feely plastic and all... (velvety).

Reply to
Roy L. Fuchs

Nice.

Mark