How to amplify alarm clock buzzer?

This cannot be difficult. But I cannot anything with a Google search.

Is it possible to design an amplifier for the alarm buzzer?

Since the alarm clock is probably an all-in-one chip design, I presume that I need a way to either amplify the output to the speaker or to use the output to the speaker to trigger new external circuitry that drives the speaker.

In any case, I never understood analog design, and I've forgotten all of my digital design.

I just need to know if it is reasonably feasible. Then I can get some help. Even better, could some kind soul provide a general design to get me started?

Reply to
curiousgeorge408

The ones I've seen use a piezo-electric "buzzer". This makes a sound when a voltage is applied to it, usually at 1 or 2 KHz. There should be an electrical signal of this frequency in the circuit. Just condenser couple this to any sort of amplifier/speaker.

If you want a different frequency, use the signal to the "buzzer" to trigger your own free running flip-flop running at the desired frequency. You could even get fancy and switch on any desired audio signal, from a radio or such.

My old ears have a hard time hearing that "buzzer", so I might try it myself! :-)

Reply to
VWWall

Thanks for the insight. That might be part of the problem for me, too. But the biggest problem is that I wear earplugs at night. So I do not hear the alarm at all :-(.

Let me know if you design a circuit for yourself :-).

----- orig> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
curiousgeorge408

There won't be "a" circuit. Different alarm clocks will have different solutions. A "mechanical" quartz crystal clock will probably have a pair of contacts that close when the set time is reached. Some "electronic" clocks will have single-ended sounder drive and some will have push-pull. Some may have a light/LED that illuminates when the alarm sounds, and it may be easier to interface to that.

Of course alarm clocks themselves vary greatly in alarm volume anyway. IIUC, it is possible to get an alarm clock with a 115dB sounder - loud enough (almost) to wake the dead.

-- Sue

Reply to
Palindrome

too. But the biggest problem is that I wear earplugs at night. So I do not hear the alarm at all :-(.

Kind of like wearing a sleeping mask because the light is too bright?

Anyway, is some kind of transducer, perhaps a guitar contact pickup to operate a VOX (voice activated switch). The switch can then operate some device to wake you up: a fan or a massage mat.

Then again, you could attach it to a motor, which will wind up a string, which can pull the earplugs out

----- orig> snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Tim Perry

Thanks for the insight. That might be part of the problem for me, too. But the biggest problem is that I wear earplugs at night. So I do not hear the alarm at all :-(.

Then why not buy a clock with an under-the-pillow vibrator? Some have a powerful light as well.

John (deaf-ish)

Reply to
John Nice

When I was a kid, if I really needed to wake up after a late night out with my band, I used an intermatic timer to turn on my Ampex reel-to-reel and Scott receiver which would then blast Jeff Beck's Rice Pudding our of my JBL L100's. Mom was a big fan of that.

peace dawg

Reply to
Wecan do it

Use the alarm to make my hospital bed move. ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

For crying out loud, What do you think this is ? an Electronic Design Group....

Why bother with sounds - Since you wear earplugs anything sonic will not be enough -

The best we can do for you is to suggest you remove the speaker attach the output to the input of a DC solid state relay., on the normally off output contacts you add a 110AC line - Splice the Neutral & place it with medical padded contacts to your forhead., then run the Hot line with relay in series and place that on your feet.

When the alarm goes up you'll get a nice jolt of household current and wake up...don't forget to apply plenty of conductive jell to the pads to insure they won't fall off in your sleep and that they make good contact with your skin ;-)

UV_Ray Just Passing Through

Reply to
UV Ray