how to become an electrician?

I would like some advice on how I could become an electrician please.

I'm 31 yrs old, work on the railways mainly on nights and am lucky enough to be in the position where I could study at night while at work.

About 5 yrs ago I did a city and guilds part 1 in electronic servicing although I haven't done much in this way for a while.

I've looked at various distance learning courses but I'm a bit wary as to just how good these are, does anyone have any advice as to my best way forward?

TIA james

Reply to
john doe

Apprenticeship

Reply to
Fred

Best bet is talk to an Electrical Contractor to find out what they look for.

Check for local trade schools.

I knew on Electrician who attended Dunwoody Institute in Minneapolis:

Rich256

Where are you located? In many parts of the U.S. an electrician must complete a four-year apprenticeship and pass an examination on the electrical code to become licensed as a journeyman electrician. However, there are some locations with no licensing requirements at all for electricians.

Reply to
Steve

There are three areas of learning for electricians.

  1. Physical : using tools, climbing, crawling, bending, lifting, standing on ladders while working overhead, using man lifts, using drill motors, using other power tools, assembling small components like nuts, bolts, and fittings. Bending pipe and pulling wire, drilling holes, pulling cable, installing boxes and panelboards. All these tasks require some physical stamina and manual dexterity.
  2. Book Learning: Learning basic circuits, ohms law, power formulae, and using meters to read voltage, resistance, and amperes. Learning the basic OSHA safety rules for fall protection, using personal protective gear, working off ladders and scaffolds and in trenches and confined spaces. Learning the installation rules in the National Electrical Code and other applicable codes that govern your work.
  3. Attitude: How well do you work with others? Can you follow instructions? Do you get mad easily? Can you dig a ditch without being insulted? Do you complain a lot? Can you work in the rain and cold without trying to find an excuse for not working?

Then there is the productivity requirement. Can you put all the above to use and perform an electrical installation in the allotted time so the contractor or owner can make money off your labor? Because that is what you are selling, your labor. An electrician is an installer that sells his labor and knowledge to earn money. Probably the best way to become an electrician is to apply and be accepted by the IBEW/NECA apprenticeship program. They will train you in school and in the field. It takes about five years to become a journeyman electrician. If you can't get accepted by a Union apprenticeship program then try working as an electrical helper for a nonunion shop. They will also train you. I would not waste too much time in the classroom. Actual field work experience is where you really learn how to be an electrician.

Reply to
electrician

[...]

I didn't think such a place existed any more in the US. Liability insurance might be hard to get if one isn't licensed.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Probably not, but I can assure you it does in "some locations"

sQuick..

Reply to
sQuick