How to test an oven fan motor

My oven fan seems to be causing the house RCD to trip. When I disconnect the fan, the oven is fine but I cannot run it like that as it will burn the element out.

Can anyone tell me how to test if the motor is faulty? I have a modest normal electrical mulitmeter. The fan does actually run and has no obvious sign of damage or deteriation.

Any advice appreciated.

Stuart

Reply to
newbornmole

My oven fan seems to be causing the house RCD to trip. When I disconnect the fan, the oven is fine but I cannot run it like that as it will burn the element out.

Can anyone tell me how to test if the motor is faulty? I have a modest normal electrical mulitmeter. The fan does actually run and has no obvious sign of damage or deteriation.

Any advice appreciated.

Stuart

Reply to
newbornmole

Here's my advice: Since you are referring to an RCD, I'm assuming that you are someplace like the UK or Australia. Here (in the USA), we call it GFCI.

First, make sure you are not violating any local codes or laws by attempting your own repairs. Some other jurisdictions are pretty restrictive about who may do such electrical work.

And now for the electrical advice. You say that the fan 'runs'. How are you testing it without tripping the house RCD? Have you removed it from the oven? If so, it might seem to work OK on a bench if its frame is no longer in contact with a grounded structure. The winding may be shorting to the motor frame.

You _might_ be able to detect this failure with a modest multimeter, but don't count on it. The insulation may only break down near operating voltage. With the fan out of the circuit (!!) measure the resistance between the winding (any terminal) and the motor frame. Anything other then an open circuit indicates such a failure.

Then, if your local laws don't allow you to do your own work, put it all back together carefully and call a qualified repairman/electrician. Otherwise, get a new fan motor.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Hi,

May i know how old your oven is?. Actually, your are dealing with high amp consumption equipment. First, take out a fan and try to rotate a blade with your finger ( pls no supply). if you find that the fan blade not running smoothly, possible some stuck out there and it will caused high amp in the system. Since, the oven consumed high amp also, thus will caused RCD tripping. If not follow Paul's instructions.

Tks

magic

Reply to
magic