How to figure out which motors to choose

Dear All,
I hope this posting finds you well.
A colleague of mine sent me a question about how to set up a camera
jib controlled by motors, which would be controlled by a micro
controller. Below is the text of his email. A diagram of the set-up
can be viewed at:

Any help would be appreciated.
Sincerely,
Mike Chua email: stpatryck at gmail dot com
I am wondering if I can attach a motion control motors to this jib so
that I can program certain moves to it. Priority will be as follows:
1. Motor to control vertical tilt for entire jib (thats motor #1), so
that the whole arm tilts up and down. This is x-axis rotation.
2. Motor to control camera tilt (x-axis rotation)
3. Motor to control to control camera panning (y-axis rotation)
4. Motor to control jib rotation (y-axis)
In addition, it is also possible to mount this thing on a track and
control the linear movement with linear motors, but I think that is
taking it into another level of complexity.
As you can see, the big jib is counterbalanced so that the total
weight being moved is not that big. The camera head, on the other
hand, is not counterbalanced, but it is only moving a DSLR weighing
max 5 lbs.
Reply to
stpatryck
People I know involved with robotics just love to buy those cheap battery drills. For $30 you get a motor, transmission, battery, and a charger. Here's an example of one:

Rich.
If precision is not required and just for a prototype then DC motors are easy way to go with. And if its something for a professional grade thing then stepper motor will be the right choice.
regards, ali
Reply to
Ali

Site Timeline