HV capacitors which emit x-rays?!!!

Salmon Egg wrote:

WOW, take a look at this one:
Anomalous X-Ray Emission from Insulators 1968 Michitaka Terasawa http://jpsj.ipap.jp/link?JPSJ/25/1199
Also: Strong X-Ray Emission from Electrified Insulators 2004 Inada http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/analsci/21/7/21_877/_article
Insulators of quartz or aluminum oxide bombarded by 20KeV protons are producing intense x-rays? Hey, maybe an "x-ray capacitor" wouldn't need much of a vacuum, just some hydrogen ions and some DC. Terasawa thinks the protons just provide an intense surface charge, then some repetitive discharges down within the insulator provides electrons to accelerate.
Here's another weird thing:
1cM x-ray generator runs off 9V battery http://www.amptek.com/coolx.html
Electrons spewed out by a chilled pyroelectric crystal are hitting copper foil and making 8KeV x-rays?!! Low pressure gas? Dang. Gotta make me wunna does tings.
((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer beaty chem.washington.edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 billb eskimo.com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph425-222-5066 http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty /
us:

That is cool!
I used to make a 9V in HVPS for an x-ray machine that was driven at 4kV. Our supply had less than 3mV of ripple at 4kV! That is like 0.000006% ripple!
Anyway, the customer said that the super clean HVDC drive is what makes for a super clean x-ray flux, and that makes for super crisp, high contrast ratio x-ray images.
I made the best X-ray supplies in the world. We even had LANL, LLNL, JPL and others buying our super clean, ultra pure HVDC supplies.
I think I want one of the cases they show on that x-ray transducer. It looks like it would hold my polonium sample just perfectly! ;-]
On 11/28/06 5:30 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "Bill Beaty"

For the same energy, protons are much slower than electrons. Thus protons will have lower acceleration than electrons even though protons lay down higher energy density along their tracks compared to electrons. The lower acceleration leads to much less bremsstrahlung than using electrons. This is used to advantage at Loma Linda University to provide more intense and localized radiotherapy without generation and scattering x-rays produced by bremsstrahlung.
Electrons stopped by insulators and other materials will produce bremsstrahlung. The usual interactions of electrons and matter will take place (photoelectric effect and Compton scattering). The atomic number of the medium will be important on the details of of these losses.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
On 26 Nov 2006 22:04:11 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Gave us:

Whenever an electron beam (even a leak discharge) or plasma strikes a metal surface x-rays are emitted.
It's a rule.

Do consider the kinetic energy of free electrons. In corona in air, that's going to be only a couple to a few eV. I don't see silicone being airtight enough to improve upon that much from metal reacting with air unless you have a vacuum pump hooked up and running. Even if you do remove all oxygen and nitrogen, there will be argon - at a pressure greater than that inside most fluorescent lamps.
On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 20:05:02 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) Gave us:

The key then would be to laminate the plate segments to their insulative layer with a vacuum process during construction. Should probably bake out any water as well. THEN seal the edges of the plate layers, and one could even pull a vacuum on that assembly prior to cure.
Don Klipstein wrote:

Definitely. But go look up "ion pump." Apparently they're common in small high-vac systems. No moving parts.
If you have metal with high enough negative voltage, slowly it will scavange up all the remaining gas as accelerated ions become embedded.
On the other hand, if the mean free path for electrons is shorter than the empty space inside the cap, then all you need is electrons and a strong enough e-field.
((((((((((((((((((((((( ( ( (o) ) ) ))))))))))))))))))))))) William J. Beaty Research Engineer snipped-for-privacy@chem.washington.edu UW Chem Dept, Bagley Hall RM74 snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Box 351700, Seattle, WA 98195-1700 ph425-222-5066 http://staff.washington.edu/wbeaty /
snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com wrote:

Bill, there's a question involving transfer of electrical energy on sci.physics.research which might benefit from your input.
--
Dirk

http://www.onetribe.me.uk - The UK's only occult talk show