If we increase Frequency what will happen to voltage & current.

Hi friends,

I want to know, If we increase frequency(50 Hz to 60Hz) what will happen to voltage & current. Thanks

Reply to
vinu

Need more info... What type of load?

Generally, if you are talking about an inductive load (motor, transformer, etc. ) the current will be less by 20% at 60 Hz due to increase inductive reactance. (Assuming the same voltage).

Given these conditions, the voltage will stay the same, but if you have some sort of variable voltage control (such as a Variac), you might be able to incrase the voltage to compensate and bring up the decreased level of current. Other factors, such as whether the insulation can take a higher voltage, also come into play.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

They will speed up.

Reply to
operator jay

XL=2*PI*freq*L XC=1/(2*PI*freq*C) L=inductance in Henries C=capacitance in Farads PI=3.14 Take it from there.

Reply to
Jerry

. Very general question!!!!!!!!

Answer: Depends on the circuit being supplied.

Further: Assuming that the voltage stays exactly the same and the circuit involved is completely non reactive (that is; contains no capacitance or inductance) the values of current flowing should be exactly the same.

An example of a circuit that probably would have little or no 'reactance' could be an incandescent bulbs or a simple purely resistive electric heater.

But like many things you need to explain the situation and why the question is asked.

Rather like saying 'how many miles will I get to my gallon of petrol/gasoline?", without specifying the type of country/terrain in which you live and the type/weight/ of vehicle and the fuel used!

Provide more info and then we can get into, if necessary, the mathematics and or practical answers.

Reply to
terry

| I want to know, If we increase frequency(50 Hz to 60Hz) what will | happen to voltage & current. Thanks

Voltage and current will both reach their peaks more often.

You'll find that your computer still gets the same voltage and still draws the same current.

Transformers that might have been on the borderline of saturating will no longer be there.

Motors will run faster. And that can lead to some complications.

Inductive ballasts for HID/fluorescent lighting will be cutting the current back to a lower level and some lights may not even function. Electronic ballasts will probably be unaffected.

Those rolling bars on your 40 year old tube TV will roll different.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam