Large Induction & Synchronous Machines Data

Hi all,

I'm doing a monography on a comparison between large (from 5 MW to 20 MW) high speed (two and four poles) induction and synchronous motor. I'll write about factors that influence the choice of using either one on a industrial application, such as efficiency, power factor correction, torque versus speed curves, starting torque, maximum torque and starting current. I'd like to include in this monography data on real motors. I got hold of a few, but they are all induction motors. Does anyone have this kind of information, or maybe a complete datasheet of motors that fit the criteria? Does anyone know any articles that have such machines data? I have a preference for synchronous motors data (since I have none) but induction motor data is also very much welcome.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Henrique Lima

Reply to
arroxelas

I would contact companies that make their living using pumped storage. Although there are others throughout the world, I did visit one is Scotland about a decade ago. They used the same machines to pump water at night to generated power during the day. I presume that they were synchronous machines even though they would have induction starting.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

Any of the major motor manufacturers should have data. As for synchronous machines, their use is more for specific applications-Salmon Egg mentioned pumped storage but generally these units are considerably larger than the range you have indicated and are designed and built for the specific application. In the range that you are considering, you can check with larger industrial plants, where there are large motor loads. In these plants, synchronous machines are often used to supply compressors or other loads that are always on in order to provide power factor compensation. Unloaded units are also used that way (particularly by utilities). Synchronnous motors may be used for large circular saws because their constant speed results in improved cutting.

Reply to
Don Kelly

But that's the problem. I have no more contacts to contact. All I could get was some induction motors data.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Reply to
arroxelas

Piggybacking on Don's reply.

You might find a couple adjustable speed drive 2 pole synchronous machines of that size as part of gas pipeline compressors. I know they were talked about but I don't know if they were built. IIRC they were 24,000HP/5500RPM (about).

2 pole synchronous motors are going to be very hard to find and 4 pole not much easier because of starting problems. OTOH if you look for generators of that size you should find some as in house power at industrial sites. 40 years ago I worked on a pumped storage plant with 2 large machines. 220MVA/32 pole... a little out of the range you're looking for.

My boss at the time had been a machine designer for one of the large vendors before he came over to the utility side. He said, "It's just a dumb machine, it can't read it's nameplate to know if it's a motor or generator."

The nameplates did say GENERATOR/MOTOR, 220,000 KVA/261,000 HP. Sure enough, it works either way. The direction is reversed between the pump and generate modes only because the same runner does dual duty as a turbine and pump.

Reply to
Fred Lotte