Lights both brighten & dim

Whenever I turn on a dryer, sweeper, toaster or microwave or other demanding voltage devices, some of the lights in my house dim and others brighten. I took the panel off my breaker box, and found with a voltage meter that one bus goes up to 133 volts while the other drops down as low as 101 volts. I've read in this news group that a loose connection could be the cause, so I made sure all the connections were tight, but the problem is still there. Any suggestions??

Reply to
Dangerous Dan

sounds like a problem with the neutral / ground .... its time to have a licensed electrician and/or power company tech investigate.

Reply to
Tim Perry

Considering your username, I wonder if this post is legitimate. But assuming it is... You have lost your neutral connection and are effectively putting 240v through all your circuits. Since you have the two legs in series, it "approximately" cuts the voltage in half; but only approximately since the two legs are not balanced.

This is a serious problem and should be fixed immediately. Don't screw around with it; if you can't find the problem, get someone in who can.

Reply to
John

I had this same problem once. Problem was in the meter base in the form of a loose connection.

Reply to
Jimmie

Thank you all . . . a professional electrician will be called. When the problem is found I will post the results

Reply to
Dangerous Dan

Sounds like a corroded nuetral at the house service attachment point. Call your local Hydro provider to come and check the wiring at the service attachment point. That is where it usually is corroded which causes a bad connection.

DO NOT CHECK THIS YOURSELF! MUST BE BY A QUALIFIED PERSON.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'll echo other's advice. Sounds like you have lost your neutral connection to the outside power supply. This is a dangerous condition. Call an electrician to come and check this out. I would unplug any expensive electronic equipment in the house until this is fixed. Computers, TVs, stereo, etc.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Seconded. I had this problem as well. I knew it was time to call someone NOW when I noticed the ground wire was glowing slightly where it clamped to a water pipe! (it was a #14 or #12 wire. Older house) The cable from the pole was bad.

Anyone know what current is necessary to get a #14 uninsulated wire in free air hot enough to glow?

Reply to
Michael Moroney

I'd shut off all power. There could be some device somewhere that could overheat and burn if it gets too much voltage. John

Reply to
JohnR

It isn't the wire itself that got hot, it is the high resistance at the connection. It is like having a small heater connected to your #14 wire. The current depends on the resistance. A 7-watt night light glows brightly with only 60 mA of current! I suspect your connection only glowed a dull red, so the temperature was much lower than a light bulb filament.

Ben Miller

Reply to
Ben Miller

Yes it was a very dull glow (probably wouldn't be visible if the light was good there. Picture a dungeonlike basement) I don't know if the connection was bad, but I think it was OK. It was the wire itself that was glowing.

The wire was encased in the same kind of armor as BX cable, except it had just the single uninsulated conductor in it and was smaller diameter. I could only see a glow from the short exposed piece between the end of the armor and the clamp (maybe 2-3 inches).

Reply to
Michael Moroney