Motor slow start

Please help me with a motor problem problem: It is in the Hot Air furnace. Single phase with a capacitor. When it is starts, it will make an electrical gringing noise. There is no mechanical jamming and will start after I push it with my hand very slowly and continue making noise.

Could it be a capacitor?

Many thanks for an advise.

Reply to
garymalamud

No, I'm sure you're right, it's a motor !!!

Reply to
woodglass

Capacitors normally have no moving parts, so its probably is a motor.

Sausage(Suit)..

Reply to
Sausage_Suit

Well, after the 'smart-alec' answers...

You say it will start after you "push it with my hand very slowly...". Do you mean you push it slowly, or after it starts it runs slowly?

If it seems to run normally after you give it a push, then yes, you either have a bad cap, or if it uses a centrifugal switch, it's bad.

If it runs slowly, then you have too much binding. Once the motor shaft is turning (by your hand or itself), if it doesn't spin right up to speed then you have a different problem. If it doesn't seem to be bound up (turn power off and try to give it a good spin by hand), then the motor windings must have a fault (shorted turns or something).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

Thanks for helping... After I spin it with the hand, motor will slowly gain speed, making humming electrical noise (like if you are holding the rotor) and eventualy (20-30 seconds) will gain the normal speed.

Could it be a capacitor?

(daestrom wrote:

Reply to
garymalamud

Its most likely the capacitor. These small motors often do not have centrifical switches. Should be about a 5 or 6 Mfd capacitor if it is a small household type furnace.

Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Frank White