a question regarding modifiying/sourcing alternators/generators

Hi there, I have been trying to get a question answered and am running into road blocks, could anyone possibly help in this area? Here's the scenario...

Imagine a 3 phase induction turbine, similar to what's used for wind mills. Smaller ones (say a 4 - 10' diameter blade configuration) are "geared" to operate at peak efficiency around 25 mphs about 12 m/s - (I think that's about 500 rpm up to about 1200 rpm). This is so because that's what average wind speeds usually are and they are designed to generate power at low wind speeds. Big question...What if you were near a small area that has a consistent high wind speed of 40 - 50 mph? Is it possible to "gear" these turbines for peak efficiency at 45 mph to 60 mph? Today, these turbines all seem to be configured for cut in speeds of 7 mph with peak efficiency around 25 mph, can that be modified to cut in say at 25 mph with peak efficiency at 45 mph. OR, Possibly we could buy an alternator be separately (sort of "off the shelf") and then it's rotating shaft be "fit" for these smaller wind blades. Put simply, I need a 3 phase alternator (or whatever is most efficient for generating and storing) that runs at higher rpms efficiently without the 30 metre diameter blades as space for this project is limited. We are already experimenting with ways to reduce the turbulence in this small area (the high winds just happen the way the land is layed out) and really want to try to capitalize on this natural event and create our own electricity. Any suggestions at all or where I might further research would be great. It has been suggested so far to use pulleys or gears however I thought that if you were clear about the purpose of the alternator/generator and how many rpms it will turn at, then it would be simple to find the approriate equipment or at least have a close one modified to meet the necessary parameters. I thank you kindly for your consideration and any help you could provide me. Thanks a million, Pete

Reply to
mavava

<beard6801