Portable appliance testers

Our workplace needs to get one to be AS/NZ3760 compliant. AS/NZ3760 being legislation in Australia/New Zealand for testing of extension leads and any appliance that plugs into a wall socket. I don't know what the equivalent is for UK or US. But I imagine there must be something similar. Would appreciate recommendations for models and prices for testers if anyone uses them in their workplace. Many thanks. TR

Reply to
TR

These links are common units in the UK, you probably have local agents.

John McLean

Google is your friend..

A search for "AS/NZ3760" gets many answers.

If you use an AUS supplier you might get the proper stuff if you are going to use it in AUS.

The UK stuff will obviously have UK plugs and sockets even if the rules are the same.

Reply to
John G

Thanks John and John for the replies. Maybe I should have made myself more clear in my original post. Sorry. There are many PAT's available to choose from.. I was looking for recommendations from people who had preferences for particular brands in terms of quality and costs. Simply, if I choose one PAT. How do I know it is a good product compared to others? TR

Reply to
TR

IANA electrician

A go/no go tester is perfectly adequate for most testing. Particularly if the testing is being done by someone with little electrical knowledge or understanding.

If you have equipment with very long power leads, then one that displays measurements allows you to potentially pass kit that the go/no go tester would incorrectly fail.

If you are doing a lot of tests, then a recording one can save time.

So, what is good for one person is overkill for another and inadequate for another.

As to brands, costs etc - you local electrical wholesaler will possibly have better deals on one than another. Discuss what they have with them. Think about where you will be taking it for periodic checking/calibration.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

recommendations

I have the Robin SmartPat 5000, (Robin is also Fluke in the UK), there is probably a newer model; but this one does the job for me at this time, until the code of practice or regulations changes. PAT testing can be a humdrum experience and the more automation that can be done, the better. The software allows storage of the test results and downloading to a pc. I also have the optional plug-in barcode reader, this is useful where pre-printed labels are used for ID and location purposes, there is free basic software to allow these labels on the internet. I must admit this unit doesn't justify the storage space, there are however, occasions where I use it for fault finding on tripping problems on electrical installations. There are no mandatory qualifications to operate as a PAT tester in the UK; other than competency under the health and safety regulations, although there are various organisations offering training.

To comply with the health and safety regulations in the UK, it is necessary for employers/businesses (and landlords who rent property which includes appliances), to carry out such routine tests.

Reply to
John McLean