Question (from a layman) about torque

daestrom wrote:

I remember Thresher being lost, and I remember how surprised some experts were when she was ultimately found nearly intact. I recall a seminar at which it was claimed that she was probably scattered in small pieces over a wide area. "... never came back." Were there other losses?
Jerry

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:11:30 GMT, "daestrom"

I never even got to see any of those subs except along the docks at the sub piers sitting near the old diesels. I guess they were built to last without much repair. ;-)
And those luxury liners were not so luxurious when ripped apart in dry dock, particularly since I was there to work on storage tank level indicator/controls. They would never tell me what "CHT" stood for. It must be classified. (LOL) I figured it must be "Chocolate Heaven Tank" from the looks of what was left in the tank when we got to it. To tell the truth, I also worked on a lot of other stuff too.
Paul M wrote:

"Collection and Holding Tank" If the odor didn't provide a hint, there mist have been some powerful chemicals, too.
Jerry

proclaimed to the world:

I know what it stands for Jerry. It was a joke.
And actually it stands for Collection, Holding and Transfer tank.
"Paul M" <PaulMatWiredogdotcom> wrote in message

*snicker*
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 19:30:37 -0500, Paul M <PaulMatWiredogdotcom> proclaimed to the world:

And I forgot to add this. Smell was not a problem because the tanks were always cleaned and disinfected before I ever got into them. This was not true at most of the WWTPs I worked at later. I watched this Indian guy take off his shoes, socks and pants and wade knee deep on a strut in the top of a aeration tank once at a small private plant. He asked me to wash him down with a garden hose afterwards.
Paul M wrote:

It's the straight-faced ones that always take me in. I should know better. When I do it, people often get put off, not amused.
Jerry

proclaimed to the world:

I'm not put off at all. I find you refreshingly simple in your logic and insistence of accuracy. That IS a compliment, BTW. You can be the straight man in my act! :-)
"Paul M" <PaulMatWiredogdotcom> wrote in message proclaimed to the world:

On the older boats, we didn't mess around with such 'euphenisms'. They were called 'sanitary tanks', but were far from 'sanitary'. (why *is* it that sewers for human waste are called 'sanitary', seems a complete perversion of the term :-)
daestrom
daestrom wrote:

Because it was more sanitary than chucking it onto the street from a second story window?
Cheers Trevor Jones
The Ministry of Truth strikes again ...
proclaimed to the world:

On 11/12/06 10:27 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com,

Read a high school level physics book on simple machines.
Bill -- Fermez le Bush
This won't solve the problem, but one place to start would be to measure the torque you have. Since torque is measured in foot-lbs, you just need to measure the force exerted by a lever-arm one foot long. Make up a bar with a distance of one foot from the motor shaft to a large hole at the other end. Then connect a spring scale (such as a fish scale) to the large hole and secure the scale and the motor to a firm bench or something. Turn on the motor and read the force on the scale. This is the stall torque of the motor. If I remember correctly, a rough estimate for optimum power is between 65% and 80% of the stall torque. The exact value for the optimum power is measurable from the motor torque curves, but these may be hard to find for a surplus motor. Hope this helps you get a handle on what you have now. ww88
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.crafts.metalworking.]
2006 22:27:37 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Once you load the drum up, you'll have more coffee in toward the center of the drum so your average moment will decrease. Also in the light load, all your beans are carried up beyond horizontal on the vanes before they spill back to the bottom while the larger load has much more of a rolling effect. You still have the same amount of beans riding the vanes up to horizontal, but you also have a mass that's just rolling around the bottom... it's only rising from something like 180 to 230. Obviously, this is all highly dependent on rpm, and how close that comes to the sticking speed for that radius. Even if I knew all the variables, I wouldn't know the math of it.
In this sort of application, I don't think that doubling the load necessarily requires doubling the torque though.
My Millenium uses a 3/4 hp motor to rotate 15kg of beans in 15" drum at 57 rpm, and it's not even a strain. I have to guess that it does require more than 1/2 hp though, or they would have cheaped out on the lighter motor. (The blower motor is 1/2 hp, for instance)
Purely back of the napkin then, and ignoring other variables I know about and others I can't imagine, your drum is .733 the radius of mine x .333 the load of mine, so should require roughly 1/4 the torque.
I'm going to guess that 1/6 hp ought to be more than enough @ 60 rpm or 1/12 hp @ 30 rpm...
Steve Ackman wrote:

Thanks to Steve and everyone else for the sound counsel.
As a Navy vet myself, I don't mind the sea stories either. ;-)
- Scott