Questions about Transformers etc.

I'm moving from the US to Argentina in December and have been researching the various power conversion issues I'll have to deal with. I've got a
pretty good idea of what I need, but still have some remaining questions. I'm hoping someone on this forum can help me out. One bit of additional info is that I will be moving to another country every 2-3 years as a result of my job. I'm not sure where I'll be after Argentina, so future flexibility is one consideration.
In general, when would I want to use a voltage regulator/stabilizer and when should I use just a power transformer? Is price the only benefit of transformers? What type of products are recommended to be run on voltage stabilizers?
Does a voltage regulator take the place of a surge suppressor? In other words, do I still need a surge suppressor if I'm using a voltage regulator?
I've got several devices (cordless phone, wireless network adapter, etc.) that use AC/DC adapters; none of my current adapters support 220V. I'm wondering whether I should buy universal 220V AC/DC adapters or power transformers (and use my existing adapters). I'm inclined to do the later so I don't have to worry about adapter-device plug fit and I suppose the transformers could be more useful down the road. Price seems close enough to not be much of a decision point.
I've got a couple of small UPS that I believe will only work on 110V power. Is it OK to use these on stepped-down 220V? Would it be redundant to use both a UPS and a voltage regulator?
What type of appliances/electronic devices could be problematic (or damaged) with 50Hz? Virtually all of my things show only 60Hz on the "power plaque".
Thanks a lot for any advice/help.
Best Regards, Charles Goodman
Your appliances should include a universal power supply. That means a new IEC power cord to match local wall receptacles and you are done. Such power supplies will list numbers (adjacent to where power cord connects) that say 90 volts to 265 volts (or something equivalent) and both 50 and 60 Hz. That means it works just fine on 120 volt system and on 240 volt systems. Electronic cameras, camcorders, laptop computer, electric razors, computer monitors, etc routinely contain a universal power supply. Otherwise it should have a 110/220 switch. All your electronics should be designed to work just fine in all electrical environments with only a power cord change or plug adaptor.
Charles Goodman wrote:

If you plan on several "international" moves, then you should concentrate on "stuff" that might operate on battery power. Lap top computers are a good example. Automobiles almost entirely operate on nominal 12 volts.
You can but from Rat Shack adapters that used 12 volt (automobile) power and convert it to any of the several "wall wart" voltages.
Stick with stuff that was designed to work with the lap top and work in cars and you should be OK.
Once on station you can seek out one of those gadgets that has a storage battery and a charger built in. Get one for your local voltage. Or you can DIY with a storage battery and a charger.
As a bonus you will be able to operate when the local power goes down. (This does happen.)