question about running electronics off of a portable generator

I'm thinking about getting a portable generator and have a couple of questions. First off here are the specs that I have on the generator:
5.5 HP * 3.2 gallons fuel tank * 2200 watt rated output * 2500 watt peak output * two 120 V AC outlets * one 12 V DC outlet for charging car batteries * each outlet is equipped with a circuit breaker for safe operation * 4 stroke * air cooled, brushless engine * rated voltage output: 120 V AC, 12 V DC, rated frequency: 60HZ, rated AC current: 18A, rated DC current: 8.3A
What kind of equipment would I need to use to ensure that the electonics I'm planning to plusginto this thing get clean power? A power strip, or a UPS, or something else? I'll be running all sorts of electronics off of it--a TV, a DVD player, a laptop, etc...
I use my UPS which has a power line conditioner. And this will beep when there is something wrong with the power. When plugged into the generator, it beeps quite a bit!

Your certainly not looking at this for prime power are you? This is not an expensive genset nor is the output regulated. Frequency is governed by rpm, typical on this lower end equipment.
Simplest solution is a UPS that regulates the output voltage. This UPS will probably cost you as much as the genset.
Do not forget to ground your generator according to the manufactures instructions.
Prime power??
I plan to run a few electronics things off of it (TV, DVD player, laptop) plus a stand-alone heater.
Didn't know about the grounding, though of course that makes perfect sense...thanks much for your tips.

prime power means the only source of power.
The generator you looking at is not prime power rated. In a couple of thousand hours (if your lucky) your going to need at the very least an engine rebuild. Make sure you use syn oil and change it FREQUENTLY, every 40 hours of run time. Or more if the manufacture recommends it.
Will do on the synthetic oil. It'll probably be used less than a hundred hours a year though, which is why I'm looking at a cheapie...
If power is so bad as to require a power strip or UPS, then UPS will run excessively on batteries and power strip will quickly degrade to ineffective. Your solution begins with and inside the generator.
Some generators are better than others. Adapt faster to changing loads. For example, if a heater turns off, then the generator will output very high voltage until the rotor can slow and fields reduce. This excessive voltage will not be solved by a plug-in device. This excessive voltage is best solved with a better computer power supply that is rated for wider voltage ranges - or this is why a better generator is required. There is no effective plug-in solution for the wrong generator.
Many clone computers have inferior power supplies when computer assembler knows nothing about basic electrical concepts. Too many clone assemblers select power supplies only on price and watts. Other functions assist in making generator 'dirty' power irrelevant.
Note where solutions begins and ends. In the generator and in the electronic's power supply. With a heater, generator must adapt quickly to changing loads. A benchmark in better solutions would be Honda - which is why the acceptable solution also costs more - and provides other advantages.
You will not save anything (including money) with plug-in UPS and power strip solutions. If generator cannot provide proper power - especially adapt to load changes, then the reasonable solution is a generator that does the job. Plug-in solutions are not a solution to the wrong generator.
trevor snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

wrote: : > Prime power?? : > : > I plan to run a few electronics things off of it (TV, DVD player, : > laptop) plus a stand-alone heater. : > : > Didn't know about the grounding, though of course that makes perfect : > sense...thanks much for your tips.
...: : Sorry, this thread's just been SO far off base... : ... Actually, you're absolutely correct. There is a hormongous amount of guessing and rationalizing going on in several threads here and it's starting to get to me, I guess. I think a couple of the misinformation pieces have even been intentional; I recognize the poster's styles from other places and between threads here too. "Kaner" comes to mind, actually. Normaly I don't mind but sometimes it gets into some serious safety issues or costly repair issues if the readers aren't careful of filtering out the junk. There are also some very knowledgeable people here too, and I understand why they're ignoring the misinformations but I worry when $ or bodily safety comes into it.
Oh well ...
Pop