Re: Why is the semiconductor/IC specialty the center of the universe?

>> In an organization the size of IEEE, no single publication or activity >> will satisfy everyone. That is the reason for all of the societies. I >> belong to several, and get exactly the publications of interest to me, >> which are primarily related to power and industrial controls ("Power & >> Energy", "Industry Applications", & "Control Systems" to name just a >> few). >> > I understand what you are saying. > > I'm looking at it from a purely marketing point of view. If EE is > seen as primarily about computers, semiconductors, and telecom, expect > fewer EEs in the future. The longer the downturn lasts and the more > these specialties are seen as the center of the EE universe, the > greater the decline in EE enrollment. This can't be good news for the > IEEE or EE Times.

You're a bit off track here. As said before there are a lot of magazines on the subjects that you are favoring. To go back to your original question the answer is simple, ICs are in virtually in every devices used by consumer, including power generation and control systems.

Reply to
Michel Catudal