can anyone explain why the number of poll of the motor is impotent for the encoder?

for example pls take a look of these 2 encoders: AA. TS5212N500 2000(4 poles) : OIH48-2000P4-L6-5V

- Model name : H48-8-2000WL4

- Outter Dia : 48mm

- Bore size : 8mm

- Resolution : 2000P/R

- Output form : Line driver type(5VDC only)

- Output signal : A, /A. B. /B. Z, /Z, U, /U, V, /V, W, /W

- Calble length : 1m without connector

- No. of Pole : 4

BB. TS5212N510 2000(6 poles) : OIH48-2000P6-L6-5V

- Model name : H48-8-2000WL6

- Outter Dia : 48mm

- Bore size : 8mm

- Resolution : 2000P/R

- Output form : Line driver type(5VDC only)

- Output signal : A, /A. B. /B. Z, /Z, U, /U, V, /V, W, /W

- Calble length : 1m without connector

- No of pole : 6

these are Tamagawa encoders. why is it important the numbers of polls? i asume its connected to the hallsensors but how?

thank you eli

Reply to
elitkh

[...]

The 4 poles represent 4 signals that arrive at a 90 degree phase angle A,B, U, and V nornally. Z is normally the 0 degree index pulse and W is the 180 degree index pulse. On a 6 pole motor signals arrive with a 60 degree phase angle A,B,U and V. Again Z and W are Index pulses. What this explanation does not tell you is the duration length or the duty cycle of the pulses. There will be a published truth table for these motors Simplistically, you can consider these to be single phase(4 pole) and 3 phase (6 pole). Normally these encoders will be optical, not hall effect. If you have some of these, I need a couple if the price is right. Steve

Reply to
Steve Lusardi

I think you're right about the number of poles referring to the Hall sensors, which should more correctly be referred to as "commutation sensors." Though Hall sensors are often used to sense rotor position, especially when they're integral with the motor, any suitable sensing technology can be used for commutation. In the case of these encoders, the U,V,W commutation channels are probably just an additional track on the encoder disc and 3 associated sensors.

The A and B channels are the 2000 line quadrature outputs; the Z channel is a 1 PPR index pulse.

My assumption is that "number of poles" refers to the number of poles of the motor the encoder is to be used with. Depending on the motor, amp and controller you're using, you may not need the U,V,W channels at all.

Note that I'm making some assumptions here, based on quite a bit of experience with servos, but I'd suggest you try to verify what I've said before spending a lot of time and money.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

do you mean that 4 or 6 poll dont refer to the motors polls?

eli

Reply to
elitkh

The 4 or 6 poles refers to the number of motor poles - if you use the encoder for commutation it needs to match the motor. Whether you really need to use the encoder for commutation depends on the specific motor, amp, and controller you intend to use.

This encoder appears to be similar to the one you described:

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons