Scoping piezo-crystal knock sensor

Is a DSO required to test a piezo-crystal KS or will an analog o-scope do the job (something like a Tek 465)?

I'd like to see both peak and avg VAC output at various engine RPMs

Thank you

Reply to
Lance Morgan

You can use a scope. If you are trying to detect the single knock event then a storage scope might be more useful. See Knoksense on my web page

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Speaking of knock sensors, where can one get the bare piezo sensors used the knock sensor. We currently buy knock sensors for our device but actually only need the sensor element.

Reply to
jl

Any off the shelf piezo buzzer.....

Reply to
martin.shoebridge

What kind of device are you making?

Reply to
Boris Mohar

True... I used RadioShack piezo buzzers as solenoid air valve operation detectors in a prototype boroscope controller, but I was embarrased when the company president saw those toy buzzers!

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Why? They are cheap yes (he has to love that for sure), but gets the job done.

Reply to
Roberto Saldo

Thanks, now I feel better!

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Would something like a Fluke 87 be fast enuf to pick up peak V w/max function? I do plan to get an analog scope, too

Thanks

p.s. I've tracked down specs for the apparently discontinued Fluke 87 Series III: does anyone have specs or know improvements of the III over the II?

Reply to
Lance Morgan

Meant to have said Fluke 87 "DMM"

Reply to