Series/Parallel Resonance of a coil

Hi all,

I am learning about inductors and have few doubts,

The coil manufacturers are specifying self resonant requency , I understand that it is resonating due to stray capacitance of coil. The capacitance is in series with coil or parallel with coil ?

In other words, at self resonance , is it series resonant circuit or parallel resonant ciruit ?

I want to know whether the impedance is maximum at self resonant frequency or minimum at self resonant frequency.

regards, palani

Reply to
palaniappan chellappan

It can be either or both or many more. The key to understanding is the Foster reactance theorem which you can look up. That is, in a real part, there will be multiple resonances. In the simplest case it would be a parallel resonance. The inductor acts as if there is a lumped capacitance across the inductor. A lumped LC(R) resonator series or parallel depending upon how the source is applied.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush

Reply to
Salmon Egg