Need a voltage regulator for business copier / printer / scanner

We have 113V - 160V coming out of the socket. Unstable.
I need to stablize the voltage for a printer expecting 120-127 V ~
@12A
I don't know any brands or and specs other than these. Can someone please help? how expensive would a small unit be?
Thanks for your help.
TonyBaggaDonuts wrote:

Try a google search on a 1500VA double conversion online UPS.
Or look at ebay item 9711082801 as an example.
--
Sue

Palindr☻me wrote:

Hey, Thanks for the quick response. But a UPS? are you sure? wouldnt an unstable voltage then do damage to the UPS?
TonyBaggaDonuts wrote:

LOL, you would, quite rightly, get your money back if it did.
The one I mentioned has a spec of: INPUT - Voltage Range : 85VAC ~ 150VAC Frequency Range : 47 ~ 63 Hz
Not quite up to your 160v, but you were possibly exaggerating? If not, stick an autotransformer in to reduce the input to the 85 - 150 v range or choose a different make/model.
--
Sue

Palindr☻me wrote:

ok, that ebay one is cheaper than any i found, but i do need 160, maybe even a bit more headroom... 165/170 to be safe? Could you explain the autotransformer to me?
Thanks for all your help.
Tony
<snip>

Perhaps a better place to start would be to find out why your voltage regulation is so bad to begin with. Where in the world are you located? Is this service from an electric grid or from a private generator?
Charles Perry P.E.
Charles Perry wrote:

yes i know that, but were in an old building in nyc, and things don't always happen when you want them to here. I often find myself looking for a B level solution.
...still curious about the autotransformer

Complain to the New York State Public Service Commission. Your voltage levels are way outside of their regulations. www.dps.state.ny.us Believe me, utilities respond to commission complaints.
Charles Perry P.E.
TonyBaggaDonuts wrote:

Well, there is one of these, or equivalent: ebay item 250006024148
You connect this beast to your supply and it has a big knob on the top that you can use to turn down the output voltage that goes to the UPS. So you can tweak it down so that it doesn't go over 150v. It needs to be rated for the 12A that you need, at the very, very least.      As an alternative:
Get a 220v ac 60Hz (if that is your normal mains frequency) transformer with a secondary rated at 30v 15A.
You wire the primary across your supply and the secondary in series with the line going to the socket into which you will plug the UPS. If the output at the socket has gone up, swap the wires going to the secondary. The voltage at the socket will then be less than the supply.
How much less?
When the input is 113v, the secondary of the transformer will give out about 15v, dropping the supply to the UPS to 98v.
When the input is 170v, the secondary will give out 23v, reducing the supply to the UPS to 147v.
The secondary of the transformer has to have a current rating greater than the 12A that you will be using, as it is in series with the supply.
Note that the second suggestion may need to be implemented by a qualified electrician, depending on where you live. You amy not be allowed to do such things yourself.
Whereas the first suggestion just plugs into a wall socket and you just plug the UPS into it. It is less likely to need a qualified electrician to install it, but you still need to check.
--
Sue