Small Generator Can we have bus coupler between two Generator

Dear Sirs

I am having following doubt . Please clarify

We have 4nos small capacity 1000KVA Generator with 415V Supply output.

  1. Can we have Bus coupler breaker between the Generators?

  1. What are the limitations if two small generators to get parallel operation using Bus coupler breaker?

  2. Between two Generators if we have Bus riser switch ( Dis connect switch ) to connect them in parrallel. How to parrallel them? Can we parrallel them with out checking the synchronising condition and synchro check condition?

With Regards

subbarayalu

Reply to
subba

this is small? do you mean 1000 VA?

no

if you really mean small generaters you will bot be able to keep phase, frequency, amplitude, etc. in sync. please list make and model

Reply to
TimPerry

Short answer, NO!

Parallel them out of phase and you run the risk of tearing a generator off its mounts; breaking a drive shaft; and tripping a breaker on over-current.

'Synchronizing equipement' can be as simple as two voltmeters and a synchroscope (special meter). Lacking a synchroscope, a couple of lights connected properly can suffice.

But once paralleled, if the regulators/governors aren't set-up right, one machine can assume all the load and actually start driving the others as motors (and this is a *bad* thing).

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom

The small Honda inverter generators do have the ability to run themselves in parallel. Having never used them myself, I cannot speak to the details. They are small though, only 1 or 2 kVA in capacity, and intended for the homeowner market, so they ought to be reasonably idiot proof.

--Dale

Reply to
Dale Farmer

Those work on entirely different principles. They are essentially DC generators with electronic inverters. The inverters are controlled by a microprocessor that includes algorithms to sense an already energized output (such as from a second generator output) and synchronize the inverter output to the existing AC.

A conventional synchronous generator is quite a different 'animal'.

daestrom P.S. I've wondered if one of those Honda units could be paralleled with the grid, but I haven't heard anyone try it....

Reply to
daestrom

You really should hire a professional engineer for advice on this. The fee an engineer will charge will be tiny compared to the capital cost of the equipment you have and compared with the value of electrical energy produced.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Shymanski