telephone line levels

Hi Folks: I'm having a problem getting fax machine to hear each other. I'm beginning to think it's the CO. With a butt-set, I have 71mV AC RMS for a dial tone. Isn't that weak? Isn't that something like -20dB? The answer tone of the FAX is naturally even weaker..

Another note: Every phone I've used in this area (on this CO?) sounds low to the other party but I hear myself WAY TOO LOUD!! I've swapped phone around, no fix. It seems like their impedance is way off.. Does that sound possible?

Thanks! Harry

Reply to
HarryHydro

Did you check to see of the fax machine works on a known good line? Is the outlet you are plugging into putting out 120 VAC?

Is this a residence and POTS issue?

If so, do this first: make sure you are getting about 48VDC @ approx.

25 mA at the ONI (on hook). Also check the polarity and make sure it is right. Then do the same from the ONI to the jacks. IF everything is as it should be and the problem is still exists, dial 611 and have the tech run a test on your loop. (If you call during business hours, chances are good you will get a human being.) If it tests out OK, I'd say the fax machine would be suspect.

HarryHydro wrote:

Reply to
Igor The Terrible

the sidetone (the term for hearing youself) is not s function of the line but of you phone.

I've swapped

almost anything (problemwise) is possable with an analog phone line. first step is to get it tested at your demarc (point where telco responsibility ends and customer wireing takes over)

Reply to
TimPerry

Oh...sorry...ONI = Outside Network Interface a.k.a. demarc.

Reply to
Igor The Terrible

I thought everyone learned that in kindergarten. :=)

Bill

Reply to
<salmonegg

Read some of the posts...you tell me...