Transformer

I need a transformer / generator We need to conver the following:

230 50 hz to 230 60 hz (4kw) single phase. 230 50hz to 480 60 hz (3 phase) 4kw. Can anyone help with ideas of how to accomplish this? Thanks, BC
Reply to
BC

Sounds "standard" motor-generator sets to me. Here, I would head for the nearest HMG surplus outlet. Particularly ex-RN and dockyard surplus as they use a lot of 60Hz stuff with 50Hz shore supplies and have to convert.

4kW may be difficult to get though - any chance of splitting the loads and using multiple sets? 2kW are much easier to find.

I thought the whole of the USA and Canada all used 60Hz supplies... No disrespect intended, but are you sure you have the frequencies the right way round?

Reply to
Palindr☻me

the common way is to drive an alternator with an electric motor, using the appropriate gearing/timing belt to give the needed output frequencies. i'v bought a couple of these units for the alternator. the alternators were

50 hz and the motors were 60 hz. motors, here, are unimportant. i scrapped the motors and ran the alts with a gasoline engine for standby systems. anyhow, these all had timing belt drives. good luck, sam by the way, we're in the us.

Reply to
SAMMMMM

I wonder if you can order UPS that would do that for you. It would not be cheap, but if your load is something you would want backed up anyways...

operator jay

Often a 50 Hz piece of machinery is purchased from off shore, and rather than trying to convert everything to 60 Hz, an alternate source of power is prescribed.

Reply to
Pablo

Hi Sue, Thanks for responding. I'm still searching for a unit that will help our company in Germany test our 60hz products. I understand that they have 400vac at 50hz three phase and would like to test a

230vac 60hz single phase device. Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what HMG surplus outlet is nor do I know what ex-RN and dockyard surplus is. Thanks again for your help. Sincerely, BC

Pal> > I need a transformer / generator

Reply to
bc

HMG = Her Majesty's Government. RN = Royal Navy. Dockyard = place where warships are serviced and repaired. All of those places sell off stuff at auction - which are then resold at Government Surplus Stores. There are several near here (in Plymouth - place where the Mayflower sailed to the USA from).

Warships use a lot of 60Hz stuff - but normal shore supplies are 50Hz. So Dockyards, ships and hence surplus stores are good places to find motor generator sets that will convert power from 50 Hz to 60Hz. They go very cheaply - One store in Mutton Cove likes to buy and sell electrical stuff like motor generator sets.

I assume that Government surplus stores are alive and well in Canada and the USA, Australia, New Zealand, GERMANY etc? You may find a surplus store with some suitable plant, going for a song, just down the road from the German Offices...Worht a look in Yellow Pages and a few calls, maybe.

Reply to
Palindr☻me

I'm guessing:

HMG = Her Majesty's Government RN = Royal Navy

| Hi Sue, Thanks for responding. I'm still searching for a unit that | will help our company in Germany test our 60hz products. I understand | that they have 400vac at 50hz three phase and would like to test a | 230vac 60hz single phase device. | Excuse my ignorance but I don't know what HMG surplus outlet is nor do | I know what ex-RN and dockyard surplus is. | Thanks again for your help. | Sincerely, | BC | | | | Palindr?me wrote: |> BC wrote: |> > I need a transformer / generator |> > We need to conver the following: |> > 230 50 hz to 230 60 hz (4kw) single phase. |> > 230 50hz to 480 60 hz (3 phase) 4kw. |> > Can anyone help with ideas of how to accomplish this? |> > Thanks, |> > BC |>

|> Sounds "standard" motor-generator sets to me. Here, I would head for | the |> nearest HMG surplus outlet. Particularly ex-RN and dockyard surplus | as |> they use a lot of 60Hz stuff with 50Hz shore supplies and have to | convert. |>

|> 4kW may be difficult to get though - any chance of splitting the | loads |> and using multiple sets? 2kW are much easier to find. |>

|> I thought the whole of the USA and Canada all used 60Hz supplies... | No |> disrespect intended, but are you sure you have the frequencies the | right |> way round? |> -- |> |> Sue |

Reply to
phil-news-nospam