TransFormer Surge Arrestors

Hello, everyone. In July 2012, in the aftermath of the derecho storm that clobbered the Washington, DC metro area many pole-mounted medium
voltage power distribution transformers had to be replaced for various reasons. In my area of Arlington County I noticed that the replacements don't have the customary surge arrester that is usually bolted to the side of the transformer case. For the record the MV system in my neighborhood is of type 34.5/19.9 kV.
Again, I'm referring to the arrestor, not the fuse/cutout combination that connects the transformer primary side to the feeder. Is this a cost-cutting measure? Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

On 20/11/2013 8:58 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:

You may find that the surge arrestor is not necessarily mounted on the transformer but is a separate unit near it (typically looks like an insulator between the fuse and the transformer but there will be a lead to ground (probably to the ground on the transformer).
--
Don Kelly
remove the cross to reply
On 11/20/2013 07:23 PM, Don Kelly wrote:

Thanks for the informative reply, Don. I looked again and all I can observe between the transformer HV (primary) terminal and the MV feeder is the usual series combination of a manual-reset cutout and a fuse. Also, the replacement transformers, unlike those they replaced, have a (plastic?) shroud that covers about half the length of the transformer's HV terminal insulator.
The surge arrester's principal function is to protect against lightning strikes (or perhaps induced potential from unusual sunspot/auroral activity) so I suppose it could be left out without undue risk for power outages and equipment damage. Or perhaps the replacement units are more robust and don't require an arrester. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: arl snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

On 21/11/2013 3:38 AM, J.B. Wood wrote:

The setup can vary from utility to utility- Here only an arrester and a fuse are used-no cutout. The fuses are in tubes and, if I recall correctly the fuse holder acts as a cutout. Some appear to have the arrestor and fuse on a common mount. An underground MV cable has fuse and arrester on the pole where the cable goes down.
--
Don Kelly
remove the cross to reply

If I recall correctly, that is where the old transformers made their center tap to ground bond. Modern transformers usually have those on the lower part of one of their sides. As with the new, there is a bus bar that worms its way up the guts to the "neutral".