Twist Lock plugs

We renovating a section of our factory in Southern New York state, and about to recondition a number of our old ovens and other equipment from that area that have a variety of old twist lock plugs of various designs. I am considering having them changed to regular straight blade 6-15 and 6-20 plugs, but I am wondering if there is some NEC or OSHA requirements for twist lock plugs on certain equipment.

Thanks for any help

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen B.

I'd check with a NYS electrical inspector first.

Reply to
Hobdbcgv

Check with the AHJ first. Twist locks are used a lot in industry. Fast food joints use them cause when they clean they unplug the unit and move it out of the way. At least they are supposed to

Reply to
SQLit

|> Thanks for any help |>

|> Stephen | | Check with the AHJ first. Twist locks are used a lot in industry. Fast | food joints use them cause when they clean they unplug the unit and move it | out of the way. At least they are supposed to

And a straight blade plug would prevent this how?

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

| We renovating a section of our factory in Southern New York state, and about | to recondition a number of our old ovens and other equipment from that area | that have a variety of old twist lock plugs of various designs. I am | considering having them changed to regular straight blade 6-15 and 6-20 | plugs, but I am wondering if there is some NEC or OSHA requirements for | twist lock plugs on certain equipment.

There can be such requirements. You have to consult with appropriate experts or authority to determine. But basically, the intent for the twist-lock plugs is to prevent inadvertent disconnection of power.

I do know of one business that got fed up with its janitors unplugging computers and other equipment to power the vacuum cleaners and floor sweepers. So they had twist-lock plugs put on the machines the janitors use (sold it to them saying they wouldn't fall out so easily) and put in sufficient twist-lock receptacles for the janitors to use.

I wonder if there are any cases where straight blade is safer because of the ability to pull the plug easier in a panic, such as when the floor waxer is climbing the walls.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

I have seen multiple instances where employees unfamiliar with the need to twist before attempting to pull a twist-lock plug from its receptacle just kept pulling (some with their foot up against the wall) until something gave way! In some cases the receptacle, and/or plug was damaged. In others the box was pulled from the wall.

You would think that after three or four times with the same outlet management would invest the time to train operators?

Louis --

********************************************* Remove the two fish in address to respond
Reply to
Louis Bybee