Voltage converstion

Hi

Can someone pleae help me out as I know very little about electricity.

I recently bought a digital camera in South America. It came with a battery charger which is:

110-240v 50/60.

It has 2 flat pins (not the round ones).

Can someone tell me if this will work in the USA and what will I need to do to get it to work in the UK.

Also, does 110-240v mean it will work on a 220v socket.

Many Thanks

Reply to
dogman_2000

Does it have a switch for selecting 110 or 240?

Reply to
Rich256

Have you tried the directions, manufactures web page or their 800 number? Your description is vague.

Reply to
SQLit

This sounds like a US standard plug already.

You will need the appropriate plug adapters (available at most travel or electronic gadget shops).

As someone else pointed out, you will have to examine the charger (or the user's manual) to determine whether there is a voltage select switch that must be placed in the appropriate position for the local voltage. Many newer devices will switch automatically, but some still require user intervention.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

It should work fine in the USA/Canada, but you will need an adaptor in the UK. Many stores in the USA carry sets of adaptors for use overseas, but few carry adaptors to accomodate the round pins in the USA. Bill Kaszeta Photovoltaic Resources Int'l Tempe Arizona USA snipped-for-privacy@pvri-removethis.biz

Reply to
Bill Kaszeta / Photovoltaic Resources

Thanks for all your posts.

The adaptor has no conversion switch on it, it simply says 110-240.

As I now know that this is a US type A plug (2 pin flat bed) it will work in the USA however, I am currently in Argentina where the voltage is 220v. Does this mean that my adaptor can handle anything between 110 and 240, or might it explode if I plug it in.

I am from the UK and getting transformers in South America is a bit difficult. I do however have a simple converter which changes the pins from 2 flat ones to 2 round ones however i=B4m a little hessitant to try it out.

Many Thanks

Reply to
dogman_2000

about damn time somebody stood back and went - gee, I can safely go from 110 to 240 in one device without switches and a box of adaptors. Next somebody might go - "look, universal motors".

You should check with the mfg for the last word, however.

Electrically, The camera uses DC at low voltages, and the charger uses

110-240 AC to get the DC it needs to charge the camera. That should not be a problem.

Physcially, the plug must fit into the outlet. There are adaptor kits to get plug-to-plug compatibility - online, and in most AAA, big-box, airport, and electronics stores in the US, and I would imagine there are a few at Heathrow stores. The ones I have are a set of different-end-type male-female adaptors designed so that so that I can stack them up to get between nearly any plug and any wall outlet in the world Given the plug variations that existed between and in many European countries, I would imagine it is easier to get an adapter in Europe than in the US. And it will likely be easier to get one in country of destination airport than in the country of departure.

I remember being in Britiain? decades back and needing two kinds of plugs, and the flat pins on one were larger than US flats. So FWIW, one countries flats may not be another countries flats.

Reply to
hob

How about posting the name and model of the camera/adaptor?

Reply to
Rich256

Thanks for all your replies.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix FZ5. From the replies above I have found that the adaptor is dual voltage and with a simple adaptor which changes it from 2 flat pins to 2 round pins, it works in Argentina on the 220v system.

Sorted. Thanks.

Reply to
dogman_2000