Reintroducing "Jacob's LEGO"

My web server has been off-line for a while, I have only just got access to "rec.toys.lego" recently, and the primary URL of my LEGO web-site has changed, so I would like to remind everybody of (read: show off ;-) "Jacob's LEGO":

Recent additions to the site includes:

  • Square Ghost Cafe:
  • Litir:
  • A4 sized posters featuring some of my models:
  • Photos from the LEGO collection of the toy museum at Valdemar Slot:

Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen

Forced download. Don't click!

Reply to
Wouter

Those are very nice models.

However, one of the above links is not working properly. When I visit the Square Ghost Cafe:

a file named "Tre_hjoernehuse" is downloaded. When I add ".htm" to the file name, it displays as a web page. I suspect some sort of correction to the file name on your web site is needed.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Add ".htm" to the downloaded file name and you will be able to view the web page.

Reply to
Ken Rice

Forced download how?

Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen

??? Which browser are you using? Or do you have some special settings in Windows?

I click on the link and it opens a web page in FireFox just like any other link. The same happens with IE6.

Reply to
Anders Isaksson

I have MSIE6 it wants to download the file and open it when I click on the link. All other links on the website act normal.

Maybe you have a other header setting for this file or no file extention like Ken suggests.

Wouter

Reply to
Wouter

link opened a site just fine for me, I think it might be ratherly more of the way that non-compliant browsers attempt to open it for other people.

on a little slightly-OT rant note: I've never really used IE much at all because it seem to act too sloopy, for example of one thing that I've seen too many times: site produces strange thing in NS but IE displays it fine so check html validator and aha shows many display/content errors that should not be "good" to view at all

Reply to
dr
[ please don't top-post ]

I think I have found the explanation. It seems to be a combination of errors in MSIE [a], a stupid configuration of my web-server [b], and that my spell-checker leaves a back-up copy of the checked file [c].

[a] It looks like MSIE doesn't tell web-servers which formats it prefers. This effectively means that web-servers are told that you will be just as happy with a document of type "application/x-trash" as with one of type "text/html", which of course isn't true, since you certainly will be more happy with formats which your installed programs can read. [b] My web-server is configured to consider all document types equally useful. Since equally useful document types apparently are prioritized in alphabetical order, a document of type "application/x-trash" will be chosen before one of type "text/html". [c] The document type of the back-up copies from my spell-checker are of type "application/x-trash".

Apparently because I haven't spell-checked any other files on the web-site.

Now I've fixed [b] above, so the quality for a document of type "text/html" is considered to be 100 times higher than that of a document of type "application/x-trash". Hopefully that's enough to make MSIE appreciate the site, even if I occasionally spell-check some of the pages.

It was - as you can see - slightly more complicated than that, but thanks for motivating me to fix the problem at my end of the line.

Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen

Now that problem should be solved. It was due to an inconvenient combination of errors, which now has been fixed (partially; I can't correct errors in MS software).

Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen

YES the page works! :)

Reply to
Wouter

:) so as an end user of webpages you prefer the browser that does not try to display grappy coded websites. Strange choice in my opinion :)

Of cause I prefer FireFox as web develloper, more features etc. And for browsing my most favorite sites (I really like to be googleBot ... and adless). But to brows regular sites, MSIE does show the frontpage websites mostly the way the user did intend to built it. :-D

Wow, way off topic. And it seemed the webserver did make strange choices in this case ... so all is inrelavant :-p

:)

Reply to
Wouter

Well.. if a client says: "just send me what you think is best ..." and you send trash ;-) LOL

Reply to
Wouter

the way I see it is..if it doesn't display properly to a normal browser then the user needs to take a few small lessons in website designs.

thats all I got to say ;)

p.s=in something sorta of a metaphor to me...IE with poor webcodes is like driving a car on the highway with loose dashboard and poor seats etc...anyhow guess thats me ranting again hehee

Reply to
dr

I would also like to announce a new website that has been set up.

would be great if you guys would check it out and also add information on any sets that you know about, and help make the collection alot bigger.

Reply to
BrickMaster

Hello I noticed you are using LEGO as part of your url, have youj checked the LEGO fairplay notice?

Use of the word LEGO in not allowed in a url read the fair play notice here:

The LEGO Trademark cannot be used in an Internet Address The LEGO trademark should not be incorporated into an Internet address. Internet addresses have become useful tools for people to identify the source of a homepage. Using "LEGO" in the domain name would be creating the misleading impression that the LEGO Group sponsored the homepage.

My Website:

Anthony

Are you aware that the rendering is completely broken in IE6?

Dean Earley
[ please don't top-post ]

Yes. I've always done that for LEGO related stuff.

I've both read it and discussed it with one of the lawyers at LEGO HQ once upon a time.

That URL is dead.

Since the domain name is "jacob-sparre.dk" (and doesn't contain a known LEGO trademark), I don't consider myself to be doing something LEGO has requested that I don't do. Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen

Are you aware of the set inventories at Peeron ()? It looks a little bit like you're duplicating that project.

Play well,

Jacob

Reply to
Jacob Sparre Andersen