ballistic drywall

Anyone here know much about "ballistic drywall"? I just read a reference to it but have never seen it. I guess it comes in sheets like regular drywall but is able to stop a bullet. It's used in police station entrance areas so that no one can shoot their way in, etc. I'm curious about weight (sounds heavy), easy of installation (drywall screws?), composition (composite material or an embedded sheet of steel?), etc.

Thanks.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Berg

hello Scott... if you havent already? try this google search

has a length of 73 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:
'day

Reply to
Key

Kevlar-possibly?

Never heard of that kind of drywall-but sounds possible.

Reply to
goma865

Yes, I did try a google search. One of the best quick reads was:

'sBallisticTest.htmHe brought up the difficulties in welding steel plate to retrofit an office, a point I didn't find elsewhere. The "wall filled with sand" picture was pretty dramatic - no at all what I would have predicted.

Most of what I found at other sites was marketing hype, vague promises, incomplete information, ... In short, a sales teaser.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Reply to
Scott Berg

That technique's also a fairly common one for building sound isolation booths, I'm told. (Though there are some other tricks employed there as well to keep sound from being coupled through the studs.)

Personally, I'd advise not getting into positions where someone may want to shoot in your direction in the first place.

Reply to
Joe Kesselman

I too, looked at the google stuff and wound up reading a prolix discursion on the coefficient of thermal efficiency and spalling inside gas turbine hot sections.

kid you not!

Reply to
billb

g'day to ya Scott..