Can steel be cured like cast iron for cooking?

Can a typical (I suppose moderate carbon) cast steel be cured like cast iron for cooking?
Might some kind of pre-treatment like sand blasting or an acid pickle
help?
Dave
snipped-for-privacy@newarts.com wrote:

cast
Dave:
The process is more commonly called seasoning. See, for example, http://fantes.com/seasoning.htm where it is suggested that a cleaned pan should be treated with peanut oil. (My copy of Charmaine Solomon's WOK COOKBOOK also suggests this for a rolled steel wok). This can most tastily be done by frying up a batch of potatoes (French fries or chips).
Pittsburgh Pete

Seasoning the frying pan seems suspiciously like enriching the surface layer with carbon.
--
"The polhode rolls without slipping on the herpolhode lying in the
invariable plane." -- Goldstein, Classical Mechanics 2nd. ed., p207.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Looks to me like it doesn't matter what iron/steel you use: degrease very thorughly, roughening not essential. Wipe with (food grade)oil. Now heat very, very hot, while continuing to wipe with oil: Seasoning develops. Its only a carbon layer.
Steve
Thanks guys, mostly I was concerned about adherence.
If high carbon cast iron is really what's used for cookware* the adherence of the pyrolized seasoning layer to the graphite at grain boundaries and the roughness of the microstructure might give adherence that isn't obtainable with steel.
Dave
*I wonder if "Cast Iron" cookware is really high carbon iron these days. The thermal conductivity of lower carbon iron would be better for cooking. Pure iron would be best if it can be kept from oxidizing.