hydrogen in metals?

I've read that there can be significant amounts of hydrogen entrapped in certain common metal alloys (e.g. Kovar, aluminum, titanium, stainless steel) from the fabrication process. Are there any good references on this subject? Web resources? For a given material, can one estimate how much will diffuse out over time at a given temperature?

I'd appreciate any leads on the subject.

Reply to
Grant Kiehne

There is a book VACUUM METALLURGY published back in the 1950's which is an excellent introduction to the subject. I gave away my copy, so I don't recall what it had to say about hydrogen. However, refining metals under vacuum to pull out the gases was a critical development in the evolution of high-performance metal materials, such as jet engine turbine blades. The very first industrial use of this technique was in the refining of tantalum for lightbulb filaments in the early 20th century, but its use didn't really take off until WW2 and the postwar era.

Reply to
Mark Thorson

There are frequent data compilations on diffusion of hydrogen in metals in "Diffusion and defect data" series, SciTec Publications. There you can also find information on hydrogen uptake during the production process.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Kilo

The subject "Hydrogen Embrittlement" relates to the solubility of hydrogen in metals. It is a pretty old topic. Has killed many people and great loss of property.

For web resources just type in the right keywords like:

"hydrogen embrittlement" "hydrogen solubility iron" "hydrogen solubility" "hydrogen diffsuion metal" "Hydrogen diffusin iron"

and so on.

Library search books the word "Hydrogen" in the title.

Reply to
jbuch