Help: Product codes

Hi

We are manufacturers of air movement and conditioning equipment. Our current product coding system is a rather a "descriptive" one. For example, FAN-BKT-MM020 is the code for fan bracket used in MM020 unit. Another example: FSU020-CASE means case for filter supplied unit model 020.

The advantage of this system is that all codes are meaningful. You know what it is as soon as you see it. However, as you can imaging, when you have thousands of products and parts, every time you create a new part you have to scratch your head. Different heads will come up with different way of coding. Some codes may be meaningful to that particular head who created them but totally confusing others....etc

So we come to the stage where we would like to adapt a modern, industry proven coding system.

What system do you use? Could you please shine some light on me? Thanks in advance.

Regards.

ad

Reply to
ad

Dear ad:

current product coding system is a rather a "descriptive" one.

unit. Another example: FSU020-CASE means case for filter

what it is as soon as you see it. However, as you can

create a new part you have to scratch your head. Different

meaningful to that particular head who created them but totally

proven coding system.

Use intelligent part numbers for end items (finished goods, the thing that is in the box you sell, etc.). Salesmen and customers like them as much as you do.

Use sequentially issued part numbers for all components, sub-components, sub-assemblies, assemblies. Your favorite MRP software will love you, and you can quit scratching your head. If you have a BOM, you can let the computer "remember" the part number of the bracket for you.

I have even gone so far as issuing sequential numbers to drawings, procedures, specifications, and tie those to the BOMs as well.

David A. Smith

MRP - Manufacturing Resource Planning BOM - Bill Of Materials

Reply to
dlzc1.cox

Thank you very much David. I might ask you more questions later on.

ad

Reply to
ad

I've been consulting for my ex-company recently (they are a start-up and they ran out of cash a while back and I told them I wasn't interested in working full time for free - they already owed me a lot in back pay from the last time they ran out of cash). Anyway. While they weren't able to pay me they added quite a few items to the BOM. I'd set up a sequential numbering system (they only purchase a couple hundred components) for them when I was there. The CFO did things like this when I wasn't around: 1127 (not the real number) was used for one of the power supplies they were purchasing when I left. They started consolidating and/or changing power supplies over the summer. Instead of using new numbers the CFO (he's also the manufacturing manager now, I guess) added the numbers 1127b and 1127c for the new power supplies.

Here comes the best part ...

They asked me to bring all the drawings back to Rev A so that they could "clean up" their files. Earlier they'd have me renumber all the parts for a similar reason.

I charged them over 1000 dollars for what amounted to a cut and paste job.

Reply to
bob

So much for traceability...

I worked at Sperry Flight Systems in machining inspection back in the 80s (they are Honeywell now). I inspected some helicopter parts that were AWPS. The rev on the drawing was something like "BC" having been rev'd from A through Z, AA through AZ, then BA and so on. I got to add a new rev to the list...

I wonder if I could get the bank to number all my checks starting with 100 on each new purchase of a box of checks? I wonder if a CFO would understand a problem if couched in financial terms...

Nah!

David A. Smith

AWPS - Air Worthiness Product Safety

Reply to