Minimum clearance for oscillating bushing lubed with grease and recommendation for bushing material

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if anyone could please offer some advice on the following...

I have a cantilever mounted round steel housing about 1.5" long that I want to oscillate on a 3/8" OD hardened steel dowel pin. I plan on just pressing a bushing material into the full length of the housing, and then drill & ream the bushing ID to fit over the dowel pin. I need the clearance between the ID of the bushing and the OD of the dowel pin to be as small as possible. I can only lube the bushing once at assembly and then never again.

I would prefer that the maximum clearance between the dowel pin OD and the bushing ID is not over .001" but I may be able to get away with .

002". I would like to use a high pressure grease to lube the bushing and shaft, but how small can my clearance be before it won't allow the grease to go and/or stay between the shaft OD and the bushing ID, or before the low clearance defeats the lube somehow ?

The housing is just oscillated by hand intermittently. Any recommendations for a bushing material, bushing ID surface finish, and lube, would be appreciated.

Presently, I have no choice but to press some bushing material into an existing housing, but in the future, would I be better off making the housing itself out of some pre-hardened 4140 and then using the housing itself as the bushing material ? Would this wear much better than a bronze bushing ? Would non-hardened 4140 or non-hardened tool steel wear better than bronze ?

I would like this thing to last as long as possible before the clearance opens up too far. I also think I need to stay with a bushing and not a rolling element bearing.

Any advice or personal experience with bushing materials, loads, and estimated wear rates would be appreciated.

Thanks John

Reply to
John2005

The rule of thumb is hard against soft. Pre-lubed sintered bronze is probably the best plan - bushes can hold a tight ID - less than a thou should be possible without reaming. Plain bronze would wear longer than sintered if lubricated - but that's not an option apparently. Some people have used felt washers as oil/grease reservoirs. For intermittant turning by hand, either method of lubrication should hold up pretty well.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Thanks Brian,