Minimum clearance for oscillating bushing lubed with grease and recommendation for bushing material

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask if anyone could please offer some advice on the
following...
I have a cantilever mounted round steel housing about 1.5" long that I
want to oscillate on a 3/8" OD hardened steel dowel pin. I plan on
just pressing a bushing material into the full length of the housing,
and then drill & ream the bushing ID to fit over the dowel pin. I need
the clearance between the ID of the bushing and the OD of the dowel
pin to be as small as possible. I can only lube the bushing once at
assembly and then never again.
I would prefer that the maximum clearance between the dowel pin OD and
the bushing ID is not over .001" but I may be able to get away with .
002". I would like to use a high pressure grease to lube the bushing
and shaft, but how small can my clearance be before it won't allow the
grease to go and/or stay between the shaft OD and the bushing ID, or
before the low clearance defeats the lube somehow ?
The housing is just oscillated by hand intermittently. Any
recommendations for a bushing material, bushing ID surface finish, and
lube, would be appreciated.
Presently, I have no choice but to press some bushing material into an
existing housing, but in the future, would I be better off making the
housing itself out of some pre-hardened 4140 and then using the
housing itself as the bushing material ? Would this wear much better
than a bronze bushing ? Would non-hardened 4140 or non-hardened tool
steel wear better than bronze ?
I would like this thing to last as long as possible before the
clearance opens up too far. I also think I need to stay with a bushing
and not a rolling element bearing.
Any advice or personal experience with bushing materials, loads, and
estimated wear rates would be appreciated.
Thanks
John
Reply to
John2005
The rule of thumb is hard against soft. Pre-lubed sintered bronze is probably the best plan - bushes can hold a tight ID - less than a thou should be possible without reaming. Plain bronze would wear longer than sintered if lubricated - but that's not an option apparently. Some people have used felt washers as oil/grease reservoirs. For intermittant turning by hand, either method of lubrication should hold up pretty well.
Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Reply to
Brian Whatcott