Cutting Material For Development Tooling

Hi,

I am looking for some forward thinking engineers to offer advice on development tooling for a cutting system that I am working on at present.

The equipment in question is a 10 lane tape sealer that that surprisingly cuts 10 individual rows at approximately 10mm width.

Current material is D2 tool steel that brings with it issues with blunt cutting edges as the blades are a circular system with a limited life for a number of cuts.

I am looking for suggestions on a way forward, it does not have to be a metallic, I am willing to look at all options.

Thoughts?

Ben

Reply to
Ben

Ben wrote in news:1179160345.364172.166260 @k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

What type of tape material are you cutting? Have you tried any of the various coatings used in the metalworking industry to strengthen the edge? I used to work in the printing industry and roller knives lasted a relatively long time cutting paper. One thing to be careful of, is if they get the edge too hot regrinding, it will soften.

Reply to
Anthony

I assume you're talking about circular shears and that the blades are dulling due to abrasive wear? The first and most obvious materials that come to mind are tungsten carbide and some of Crucible's CPM tool steels.

Lots of good comparisons between tool steels somewhere on that site, if you take the time to figure out where they've hidden it. For example...

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

The aircraft and composites industries use abrasive waterjet cutters to cut patterns out of epoxy/carbon fiber/aramid/glass tape and sheet. They are highly accurate and never get dull ;-)

Reply to
Harry Andreas