Good tooling material for CPVC

I'm working on a project that will require some molded parts in CPVC, PolyPro, and Kynar,

I'm looking for some advice on what material should the tooling be done in, if we are looking for small quantities around 5000 parts,

Does any body can recommend a place where I could get so quotes or more general info about injection molding?

Reply to
mr.T

We use 420 Stainless Steel. Mainly because it holds up to the gassing that PVC creates. We do high cavity and prototype injection molds for the medical industry and others.

Reply to
lrichar8

I have never dealt with CPVC or PVDF (Kynar), but for PP, at only 5000 parts, you could probably have molds made in Aluminum. If the PP is glass or Carbon filled, then you might want to put a steel insert in the gate area. If you could live with some erosion in the gate area, then you wouldn't even need the insert. To get the lowest cost molds, you will want to design the parts so that the molds can be machined, rather than requiring EDM. If that's not reasonable, then you could get the molds in steel for not much more than the Aluminum.

Somewhere on the GE Plastics web site they used to have quite a lot of good information on injection molding. I think Bayer and Hoechst Celanese (Ticona) also had good handbooks.

Jerry Steiger

the cost differential these days between using aluminum tooling vs. steel tooling is fairly neglegible depending on the tooler you go to... i'd recommend spending the cost on a p20 or even an h13 tool, only because you might find that you may need more than the 5000 piece run you are going to have, plus any texture, fill and the fact that you are going to use a pvc... most toolers i know hate shooting pvc's, but if you really need a tooler, let me know and i'll help you out...

Reply to
Asmodeus