Vertical Mill / Horizontal Lathe

Hello All,

I was given some advice and told to post my question on this group, so here goes:

I am a drafter/designer by trade and would like to purchase a mill (Bridgeport maybe?) and a lathe to set up in my machine shop at home to do home projects. I have no formal training on running either, but have done some work with a Bridgeport (J series?) mill and some kind of lathe (9"?) at my place of employment. As you can see, I don't know much about them. I figure on spending around $3,000 - $4,000 on a used mill. I am wondering how I know if I'm looking at a decent mill for the money or if I'm looking at something that is completely shot. What kinds of things do I need to look out for? Can I get a CNC for this kind of money or will I just find manual stuff. Are all the spindles for holding the tooling the same size?

Thanks for any input.

Reply to
Relz

Relz I recommend you use Google (Groups tab) to read the archived posts. This was covered pretty well just a few days ago, and comes up at least once every 6 weeks.

||Hello All, || ||I was given some advice and told to post my question on this group, so here ||goes: || ||I am a drafter/designer by trade and would like to purchase a mill ||(Bridgeport maybe?) and a lathe to set up in my machine shop at home to do ||home projects. I have no formal training on running either, but have done ||some work with a Bridgeport (J series?) mill and some kind of lathe (9"?) at ||my place of employment. As you can see, I don't know much about them. I ||figure on spending around $3,000 - $4,000 on a used mill. I am wondering ||how I know if I'm looking at a decent mill for the money or if I'm looking ||at something that is completely shot. What kinds of things do I need to ||look out for? Can I get a CNC for this kind of money or will I just find ||manual stuff. Are all the spindles for holding the tooling the same size? || ||Thanks for any input. || ||-- ||Relz || ||

Texas Parts Guy

Reply to
Rex B

Will do. Thanks for the advice.