Tooling for Inconel

This is an addendum to my post about hydrogen fuel systems in another thread.
I never paid much attention to discussion here about inconel because,
mainly, molds aren't made from the stuff and I thought I'd never have to work with it.
But somehow I managed to get myself sucked into a project which requires machining some inconel. Note: next time you see a bunch of people standing around and scratching their heads while gleaning over some drawings, head in the opposite direction as fast as you can, don't walk over the ad hoc meeting of the minds and say 'hey... wazzup?'!
Anyway, what tooling is typically use to machine inconel? Can it be drilled with plain HSS drills or is M42/cobalt needed. Can it be tapped reliably with HSS, or is thread milling the safest bet. Endmills. Can we get away with standard TIALN coated carbide tools. Or is using high helix / shear high performance tooling necessary? Carbide endmills no good and HSS better?
Any advise?
Flames for not paying attention are welcome too. :)
--
Black Dragon

Hypocrisy is the Vaseline of social intercourse.
D Murphy wrote:

??
That is a dude in a park playing bag pipes.
--
Black Dragon

We're all looking for a woman who can sit in a mini-skirt and talk

I screwed that up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb2zxldbil4

It probably isn't related to what you're doing anyway but it shows some high speed milling of turbine blades.
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
Black Dragon wrote:

BD:
    I'll reiterate what has been posted by others, sharp tools, no dwelling, no rubbing. For drilling, coolant through drills with NO pecks. Insert drills for large holes.     For end milling I'd use a rougher AND a finisher. I'd try Dura-Mill's Whisperkut end mills, they've worked well for us in high nickel alloys like Kovar. Three flute, Titanium-Carbo-Nitride coated for higher heat resistance.     I was tapping some inconel awhile back, peck tapping with a coated tap made for stainless, and brushing on Micro-Finish. Even at about 50 RPM the tap/part interface was SMOKING. Tough stuff on a tap. Thread milling might be the way to go, it's just that those thread mills are so damn expensive.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
Black Dragon wrote:

Thanks to everyone who replied. The information you posted is extremely valuable!
--
Black Dragon

Self-abuse is the most certain road to the grave.
D Murphy wrote:

Turns out the grade is 625. Have a part which is designed to be a casting but the customer claims can't find anyone in the USA to do it. It's a perfect candidate for investment casting but was told all that was moved to Mexico and this project MUST stay within our borders. Know of any foundries 'in town' who cast inconel?
--
Black Dragon

Catholicism has changed tremendously in the recent years. Now when
Black Dragon wrote:

Have Howmet do it.
--

Dick

Black Dragon wrote:

Try these guys. http://www.signicast.com /

Speeds and feeds should be about the same as the ones I gave for 718 then.