Inconel

I have just started welding inconel tig and spray (pulse) and am looking for some tips. Most of the base metal is inconel to hy80 steel. The tig isn't too bad but the puddle is a little fuzzy around the edges. Is it better to run it hot or cold? Any other suggestions? The spray puddle does not have a defined edge. It had a kind of spiderweb effect that makes it hard to blend in to other passes. I am using a programed machine and the only changes I can make are the wire feed and arc length. Is the spiderweb thing normal? The welds don't look too bad but I will take any tips that will help make it easier for me. Thanks, Bruce.

Reply to
Bruce Nickless

In my experience with small autogeneous GTAW of Inconel 600 and 625 to carbon steel I have not seen anything really different from straight carbon steel or stainless steel welds. Microfissuring and failing helium leak testing was a problem with Inconel 625 due to the niobium content. Don't see any reason that GMAW-P with Inconel should be much different from 300 series stainless steel.

I suggest you post some good photographs, list all the welding parameters, identify the Inconel alloy, and try these other forums:

Ipeak

The mill scale should be completely removed from the carbon. Also, the pulsed GMAW is sensitive to variation is stickout so try to keep that consistent. We u se 75/25 Ar/Helium and it works well. It is a little tricky out of position.

Reply to
gaustin

Thankfully I am not welding out of position. No mill scale and using 75/25 also. I have varied the stickout and notice the difference. Thanks.

Reply to
Bruce N