Cutting thin sheet material

I'm looking for a good saw to cut thin (1.5mm Al, 3mm plastic) sheet materials. I've found the Proxxon FKS/E mini table saw or even the Proxxon 27006. Has anyone any experience of these?

Or any other suggestions. I want to be able to cut nice straight lines with minium cleaning up afterwards. A full size table saw is no good as I'm working with small pieces.

Reply to
Brian Fairchild

Not tried the Proxxon machines, but I do use a variable speed scroll saw for cutting sheet material with reasonable success. The other thing I have used occasionally is a slitting saw fitted to the spindle nose of my Taig (Peatol) lathe; this gives a very clean, straight cut.

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I use a Minicraft table saw for hardwoods, balsa and plastic with a variable speed supply unit. Works fine for me.

Alan Marshall

Reply to
Alan Marshall

For small pieces I use a piercing saw and a metal fretwork table at almost shoulder height making sure that the lines are clearly scribed.

Reply to
Neil

You'll find that Proxxon along with many other manufacturers source their kit from the far east with minor changes in spec and final finish. The only difference is a wide band of price. I tend to buy the lower end and then final finish myself.

The 'three wheel' bandsaws seem to be the best. I've got an old Burgess which has been comprehensively copied by the far east. The 'two wheel' ones seem to have a much higher band speed which ruins finish and can cause burning of plastic. Basically you can cut metal on a slow speed but you'll scorch/melt plastic at high speed.

In message , Tony Jeffree writes

Reply to
Martin Akehurst

If you are really into cutting straight lines...

You need a shear. I have a 12" shear / press brake / roll, Chinese made, of course. Fantastic machine. As I recall Grizzly has two.

A 7 1/2" shear/brake

A 12" shear/press brake/roll (the same as I have)

Planeman

-- planeman - High Exalted Poohbah

"If stupidity were music I'd be a brass band."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

planeman

In a flurry of electrons planeman spake thus:

Trouble is, some of the stuff I want to cut is extruded aluminium sections so shearing it will distort it. Mind you I quite fancy the

12" unit you pointed out.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Fairchild

In a flurry of electrons Neil spake thus:

I did consider a scroll saw they do seem to be very good value.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Fairchild

In a flurry of electrons Martin Akehurst spake thus:

I've got a small 12" Rexon 3-wheel band saw. The problem is that the blade guides are not the best which causes the blade to drift. Maybe I shoul dget a better 'brand' saw.

Reply to
Brian Fairchild