Snipping sheet metal

Hi,

I am very much a beginner to working with metal, and I was just wondering what kind of maximum thicknesses of sheet metal (steels, copper, aluminium) one would be expected to be able to cut using so called aviator snips. At the moment I am fairly limited in budget and equipment so I am wondering what is possible using hand tools. Thanks.

Reply to
Samantha BeanHead
18 gauge steel sheets will max out Midwest (the style I prefer) snips. You need to be a bull to cut very much 18.

Copper and aluminum are much easier, but I do not know a maximum.

"Samantha BeanHead" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
DanG

Tin snips have definite limitations, then you graduate to the hacksaw, fret saw and bandsaw. As your finances and inclination dictate you can devolve to the cutting torch and plasma gun driven by CNC. I had an Indian jeweler friend who could carry on a conversation, chew gum, and cut the most intricate patterns with a fretsaw all at the same time. Learn to use the hand tools, then appreciate the labor saving of power tools. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

After six weeks of filing at the beginning of my apprenticeship, I certainly agree with you (and you couldn't pay me enough to do it again).

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

There are other tools which can be helpful within a reasonable ranges of gauge. There are the nibblers, starting with the hand-powered Adel nibbler, which is probably within the experience of any electronics hobbyist. It cuts out rectangular pieces, 1/4" wide, and perhaps 1/16" deep. And your hand gets *really* tired doing much with it. But, you can make right-angle turns with it, or do a pretty good job of following a tight curve.

There is also another style which uses three blades -- two stationary and one moving which cuts a thin strip out of the workpiece. It won't turn as tightly, and the thin strip tends to form a coil which gets in the way of turns even more, but it is pretty nice for near straight-line work.

Beyond that, there are two flavors of powered nibblers -- One like the three-bladed one described above, available both attached to an electric drill motor style of power source, and the compressed-air powered ones.

And, still in the compressed-air power line is something similar to the Adel, except that it punches smaller pieces, which take on a crescent moon shape. Like the Adel, it can follow a rather tight curve, though it will require that corners be finished up with a file.

Finally, there are the various shears. A stomp shear can handle up to 50+ inches wide (since standard sheet metal sizes are typically

48x96" this works out nicely), but it is really only good for straight lines.

And the "Beverly" shear, which is hand powered, and which can follow a curve fairly well.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I can testify to the usefulness and durability of this item, I have been abusing one for over 50 years - I think I paid something like US$5.00 when I purchased this from Allied Radio

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller