predicting springback

Im looking for info on predicting springback of 6061-T6 aluminum. Specifically I want to know the punch radius for a part with a 1.08 r. Also I need the springback factor for bending a 90 degree angle with a .18 r at the bend.

Reply to
Wwj2110

forgot to add that the material is .025 thick

Reply to
Wwj2110

Find yourself a book on Strength of materials. From the formulas find the yield point and modulus of elasticity. Calculate the over-bend needed, set it up and measure the results. Then adjust it until you get the correct results. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Reply to
RoyJ

I need access to information for predicting springback in 6061-t6 aluminum. Specifically, I want to bend a 1.08 radius in .025 thick al & also bend a 90 degree angle with a .18 radius. I need punch sizes & angles for both. thanx jerry

Reply to
Wwj2110

I need access to information for predicting springback in 6061-t6 aluminum. Specifically, I want to bend a 1.08 radius in .025 thick al & also bend a 90 degree angle with a .18 radius. I need punch radius & punch angle. thanx jerry

Reply to
Wwj2110

I need access to information for predicting springback in 6061-t6 aluminum. Specifically, I want to bend a 1.08 radius in .025 thick al & also bend a 90 degree angle with a .18 radius thanx jerry

jerry

Reply to
jerry

It's been over thirty seconds (20 years) since bashing aluminum into compound irregular shapes... but I think t-6 must be annealed first in order to get any shape change at all. So you soften the 6061 and keep it frozen until brought to the forge. Then you smash it to shape with no springback at all because it's mush. When it sits for a few days it regains its strength... I think.

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

The chart that I use at work doesn't even list 6061-T6, only 2024-0, 2024-T,

2024-W, 7075-T, 7075-0, and 7075-W Lane
Reply to
Lane

I took a small piece of 6061-T6 about 3/16 square and tried to bend it. It broke without bending very much. 1100 alum bends quite nicely!

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

How do you bend something that's 3/16ths of an inch square? How do you hold something like taht? Or did I miss something?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It was 3/16 square and a couple inchs long. I made a simple bender by putting a V block on my arbor press an putting a wedge on the ram. Works surprising well for many things. I can also put the wedge and V block in my kurt vise and bend things that way. Same results

chuck

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

Sorry, I was picturing a really, really small cube and couldn't imagine what you were saying.

Yes, I use that frequently. I also control the radius of the bend by using a piece of round stock of appropriate size rather than a wedge. Still haven't found a way to keep the top edge of the V-block from biting into that which I'm bending, but it hasn't been critical yet.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Interesting idea. I tried it before but I just used a rod which was free to move so it was difficult to locate the bend accurately. I really want a diacro #1A bender!

I was thinking of trying some soft copper sheet between the block and the work. Seems like it should help.

Reply to
Charles A. Sherwood

It's a free-hand operation, yes. I solved the lack of accuracy by leaving both ends long and making them the length I wanted _after_ the bend. When there are things I can't control or predict, I resort to that.

I've got some .032" or so copper sheet, I'll try that next time. Thanks for the idea.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

snip

Still haven't found a way to keep the top edge of the V-block fro biting into that which I'm bending, but it hasn't been critical yet.

snip

The shop I work at does all sorts of metal fabrication and we ru several press brakes. To keep the part from biting into your V-Block you need to break the sharp corner. All of our lower forms on our pres brake tools have radii on the upper corners to allow the material t slide, the deeper the draw the larger the radius. We actually grind radius on the forms on a surface grinder, breaking it by hand doesn' produce a large enough radius fast enough for us. Typically 1/3 minimum

-- coolcamaro79

Reply to
coolcamaro79

The springbok lives in southern Africa, ranging from the Republic of South Africa, northward through Namibia, Botswana and Angola. So, springbok shouldn't be a problem unless your shop is in that geographical area.

:-)

Reply to
Gene Kearns