Evo 9" Metal Cutting Circular Saw

Now I know guys use their regular circular saws sometimes, so this isn't huge. I have used my Skill Wormdrive for cutting aluminum sheet with
the blade adjusted just right. Its a little fast and a little scary, but if you prelube the cut areas it works ok.
I picked up an Evoluton 9" metal cutting circular saw a while back to tackle these jobs instead. Its supposed to be good for mil steel upto 1/2 inch. The first thin I used it for was stainless sheet for some lower shelves on the welding table I built last year. Of course that trashed the blade, but it did do the job. Kinda of scary like cutting aluminum sheet with a Skill saw. LOL.
Well today I used the Evo saw a little more in keeping with its intended use... I sliced up a piece of 12 x 24 x 1 inch MIC 6 that was just to big to break down on the bandsaw or easily on the mill. If I had a slitting saw... I blocked up the piece and clamped it to the deck of my welding table, supported the cut off side, and had a piece aluminum to clamp on across the cut behind the saw. I adjusted the fence on the saw for the rough size bar I wanted, and laid down a bead of cutting oil along the cut line.
It was all rather anti climactic. It was noisy, but not as noisy as ripping hardwood on the table saw. The cut looks saw cut, but otherwise pretty good. Hardly any temperature rise, and the burr is there, but easily manageable with a burr tool or even a pass with a sanding block. Its much less than the burr I usually get with 6061 on the horizontal bandsaw. Now to make my jig... or is it a fixture?
I'm using the MIX 6 to create a plate with a guide slot to mount two spindexers facing each other quickly, easily and repeatably. I can throw them in a pair of vises easily enough, but the vises are mounted fully inside the cutting envelope of the machines. Last time I used them that way I had to leave one half hanging out of the vise. If I have to unbolt the vises anyway I figured I'd just have a keyed fixture plate that can drop on easily and repeatably.
Bob, what's MIC 6?
Hul

"Hul Tytus" wrote in message wrote:

Thanks.