metal cutting circular saw

Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and
Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?
I already have other tools, but
Torch - messy cut.
Bandsaw - limited cut size.
Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow.
Plama - expensive and don't have one. Very limited thickness relative to
price.
Reply to
Bob La Londe
Not necessarily. Tip needs to be clean and you may want to try slightly different pressures on your regulators and clean the tip. Did I mention the tip needs to be CLEAN :)
See this recent Instagram post Issac put up:

If you want clean torch cuts read the tips in his posts. He also posts under Torch Norris:

Harbor Freight used to sell one of those saws for metal. Looked like a Skill Saw but with extra shielding. Think it was discontinued...
Reply to
Leon Fisk
A so-called cold saw might make a lovely cut, but workholding and vulnerability to inclusions are scary aspects. You've left out one other cutting option, friction blade in a circular saw; the idea is that a moving disk can cool its edge, but the workpiece just keeps getting hotter, until it burns. It's not expensive, and works in a variety of table, chop, or radial saws, if you can stand the sparks.
It does take large diameter blades (not gonna work in a handheld saw).
Me, I'd prefer to find a steel supplier that can do waterjet or laser cuts. That solves straight, curved, holes, maybe bevels and other fancy stuff.
Reply to
whit3rd
Though I haven't used one a friend of mine who just retired from a boat building place saw these used quite a bit. He said they worked well on 1/4 inch stuff, were noisy, and had lots of hot chips. But they could do long cuts. But only straight cuts. A plasma might be more expensive but boy, do they cut a large variety of metals. And fast. On the other hand, they generate lots of fine metal oxide dust. Not the best stuff to breathe. Eric
Reply to
etpm
A local welder has a DeWalt. He cut some 1-1/2 x 3/8" bar stock on it for me, and it went pretty quickly. These are high-speed but aren't as noisy/messy as regular circular saws. Cold saws are better but $$$
DeWalt DW872 $419 I was in a muffler shop a couple week earlier where the guy used a abrasive cutoff saw. He warned me to leave the area because of flying pieces and toxic gases from the saw. It really stunk, too.
Agreed.
I love plasma, now that I've used one at my friend's shop. Very, very cool tech. I wonder how well the $179 ebay special would hold up... not for half inch stock, though.
Reply to
Larry Jaques