metal cutting circular saw

Ok, who is using one? Is it any good? I see name brands like Skill and Milwaukee making these. Would it be good for cutting something like
1/4 -1/2 inch plate?
I already have other tools, but Torch - messy cut. Bandsaw - limited cut size. Abrasive circular saw - messy environment relatively slow. Plama - expensive and don't have one. Very limited thickness relative to price.
On Sat, 8 Sep 2018 09:38:15 -0700
<snip>

Not necessarily. Tip needs to be clean and you may want to try slightly different pressures on your regulators and clean the tip. Did I mention the tip needs to be CLEAN :)
See this recent Instagram post Issac put up:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnaLtddlcCf/?taken-by=icweld
If you want clean torch cuts read the tips in his posts. He also posts under Torch Norris:
https://www.instagram.com/torchnorris/
Harbor Freight used to sell one of those saws for metal. Looked like a Skill Saw but with extra shielding. Think it was discontinued...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI
On Saturday, September 8, 2018 at 9:38:19 AM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

A so-called cold saw might make a lovely cut, but workholding and vulnerability to inclusions are scary aspects. You've left out one other cutting option, friction blade in a circular saw; the idea is that a moving disk can cool its edge, but the workpiece just keeps getting hotter, until it burns. It's not expensive, and works in a variety of table, chop, or radial saws, if you can stand the sparks.
It does take large diameter blades (not gonna work in a handheld saw).
Me, I'd prefer to find a steel supplier that can do waterjet or laser cuts. That solves straight, curved, holes, maybe bevels and other fancy stuff.

Though I haven't used one a friend of mine who just retired from a boat building place saw these used quite a bit. He said they worked well on 1/4 inch stuff, were noisy, and had lots of hot chips. But they could do long cuts. But only straight cuts. A plasma might be more expensive but boy, do they cut a large variety of metals. And fast. On the other hand, they generate lots of fine metal oxide dust. Not the best stuff to breathe. Eric

A local welder has a DeWalt. He cut some 1-1/2 x 3/8" bar stock on it for me, and it went pretty quickly. These are high-speed but aren't as noisy/messy as regular circular saws. Cold saws are better but $$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHDO0qK7P1M
DeWalt DW872 $419 I was in a muffler shop a couple week earlier where the guy used a abrasive cutoff saw. He warned me to leave the area because of flying pieces and toxic gases from the saw. It really stunk, too.

Agreed.

I love plasma, now that I've used one at my friend's shop. Very, very cool tech. I wonder how well the $179 ebay special would hold up... not for half inch stock, though. <g>
--
America rose from abnormal origins. The nation didn't grow organ-
ically or gradually from indigenous tribes--like, say, the French