non-detergent engine oil vs. detergent engine oil

I was told to use non detergent oil for my 4 stroke lawn mover.I was wondering what is the basis for this recommendation and would the use of detergent oil do any harm? Why would you ever use non detergent oil if detergent oil supposedly cleans carbon deposits etc. Is the lack of oil filer and pump the issue here? Or would detergent oil foam too much considering the "splash" type of lubrication?

thanks

Paul

Reply to
Paul