Optimizing Interdisciplinarity

> > InnoCentive found that =93the further the problem was from the

> > > solver=92s expertise, the > > > : more likely they were to solve it,=94 often by applying specialized > > > knowledge or > > > : instruments developed for another purpose.

Maybe it would be better to say the more stunning the breakthrough the more dissimilar the fields.

It's kind of like splicing fruit or cross breeding species. There comes a point when it ain't gonna happen.

The number of advances probably increases as the fields become more similar, at least to a point. The only problem is that the advances aren't as great.

Fast nickel v slow dime optimization problem.

The N. A. of Sciences needs to develop some kind of units of "distance" between two fields, say chemistry to physics is one "ID", to generate all kinds of statistical data, plots of breakthroughs v ID etc.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
Bret Cahill

///

Not so sure - James Watt was an instrument maker at Glasgow University before coming to Birmingham to work with Bolton on the stunning condenser steam engine.

Faraday was a bookbinder's apprentice, before moving to the Royal Institution - but way before that, I think it was a physician who came up with the sulphur ball on a spindle method of powering an electric telegraph.. Wasn't evolutionary genetics worked out by a monk?

Photography - that was a bitumen on glass method initially, if I recall....

BrianW

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Brian Whatcott wrote

Doesnt qualify as 'the more dissimilar the fields' and toy steam engines had been around for a hell of a long time before they were ever used for something practical like pumping in a mine, and its hardly surprising that an instrument maker would have been aware of toy steam engines.

Tho I guess you could claim that that particular one does involve rather different fields since instrument making and mining are quite different fields.

Doesnt mean that the discovery of electricity had anything to do with bookbinding tho.

Nope. Thats just plant breeding and everyone ran the line that you couldnt breed even a donkey and a horse and get any progeny that could reproduce.

Different matter entirely to establishing that evolution is what happened naturally.

Thats as silly as saying that Chas Darwin was involved with religion before he twigged to evolution.

Still nothing to do with dissimilar fields, just the use of what worked by someone who had enough of a clue to think of that approach.

Reply to
Rod Speed

According to reports Faraday read a lot of the books that came into the shop where he worked. A lot of those books were science oriented. Thus he received a leading edge education on the science of the day. Of course he was very intelligent, that helped. Then his particular religion was well suited for science investigation and theorizing, different than Newton's, but had similar effects.

twigged to evolution.

Reply to
Sir Frederick

There's one unifying discipline that has absolutely pervaded all the sciences, all of technology, and nearly all the arts: electronics.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Sir Frederick wrote

Thats not interdisciplinarity, just an unusual way of getting and education.

Still not interdisciplinarity, just his personal circumstances.

he twigged to evolution.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope, most obviously with the biological sciences early on, before electronics was even invented.

Ditto in spades with the physical sciences too.

Wrong again, most obviously with the industrial revolution and military technology before electronics was even invented.

Wrong in spades before electronics was even invented.

Fraid not.

Reply to
Rod Speed

We need the backgrounds of them inventors.

Bret Cahil

Reply to
Bret Cahill

We've got that. Your claim is just mindlessly silly.

Reply to
Rod Speed

was even invented.

I said "has pervaded." Having trouble with tenses? Or history?

It's rare that any modern physical experiment isn't instrumented with electronics, and its data analyzed and published using computers. Electronics has revolutionized biology (gene sequencing, molecular analysis) and physics (making quantum mechanics measurable, detecting particles and quanta) and chemistry and practically any discipline you can name.

So to do any science or engineering, especially inter-discipline stuff, it's a huge advantage to be good at electronics, as most really good scientists are.

Something as simple as Bret's crossover heat exchanger is going to need some good measurement and control electronics to keep it at its optimum point, whatever that is. Several delts-p's, lots of temperatures, maybe the power input to the pumps.

John

Reply to
John Larkin

Reply to
John Fields

John Larkin wrote

electronics was even invented.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

Pity electronics doesnt qualify as a 'unifying discipline' in that sense either.

Thats as silly as claiming that the printing press is a 'unifying discipline' in all those fields. Fraid not.

Thats as silly as claiming that chemistry is a 'unifying discipline' in all those fields. Fraid not.

That last is just plain wrong. Very few of them are.

And f*ck all plant breeding does.

Dont get much of that with painting pictures.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Hey, Bret, we get the idea. You want to f*ck with these newsgroups because they trounced your idea for battery powered tractors.

Could you please stop now? It's getting quite boring.

Thanks, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Bob Monsen

A chemist came up with the MRI. Einstein came up with the Freon based cooling system which is considered more mechanical engineering that atomic physics. There are endless other examples so we know it happens.

We need to get some stats on how often and turn interdisciplinarity itself into a science.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

A PHYSICAL chemist. Thanks for that completely superfluous proof that you dont have a clue about how broad the field of chemistry actually is.

Hardly surprising given that he was initially employed in the patent office.

Pity neither of those is one of them.

Nothing like your original silly claim about the MORE STUNNING BREAKTHRUS.

YOU made the stupid claim.

YOU get to do that.

THATS how it works.

You'll end up completely blind if you dont watch out, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Which ain't no physicist.

=2E . .

How does that make Einstein a ME?

=2E . .

on how often developments comes from those outside their fields.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

It does however involved other similar technologys like NMR etc.

Pathetic.

Pity neither of those you waved around qualifys.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nope. Nothing close.

You have no calculations or reasoning.

Pathetic.

You cannot disprove that you are pitiful, as worthless as Al Gore in a dust devil.

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

Nope.

Every time you dodge I'll pop the same question:

How does working at the PO make Einstein a ME?

And even if the correllation is weak or nonexistent, don't you think that interdisciplinarity should be researched and properly debunked?

Bret Cahill

Reply to
BretCahill

Which says

The Nobel Prize in Physics in 1952, which went to Felix Bloch and Edward Purcell, was for the development of nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), the scientific principle behind MRI. However, for decades magnetic resonance was used mainly for studying the chemical structure of substances. It wasn't until the 1970s with Lauterbur's and Mansfield's developments that NMR could be used to produce images of the body.

Thanks for that spectacular footshot of yours. You can fall over now.

And I'll respond precisely the same way, child.

Pathetic.

Dont need any research to debunk that stupid claim you made thats still second from the top, child.

Reply to
Rod Speed